• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety Netting

Tackettr

I haul a lot of youngsters in the back of my deuce, B-day parties, parades, & such. I always have adults in the back but I would like a little more safety. It seems the youngsters head sometimes barely reaches the bottom rung of the back support for the troop seats. Basically a large gap that one could fall through. What I would like is a safety net that runs in this gap to prevent it. I don’t want it to interfere with the function of the troop seats or take away the look.

Has anyone already made something like this or modified existing netting to work? Would like to see any pics or hear any ideas. If I can't find something, I will attempt to make my own. However, I don't sew! :-D

Thanks.

Tackettr

Camo netting might work. I was thinking more along the lines of something like two cargo straps(1-2 inches) running horizontal along the length of the seat to resemble the backs. Then maybe a few verticle ones to keep it from sagging. Staps would be black or OD.

However, I'm not ruling out the camo netting. Thanks! :-D

jimm1009

What about a single 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 painted to match and mounted on the outside of the vertical supports?
If you keep you seats down all the time or 98% of the time you could also mount it (them - left & right) on the inside which would look better but the seats would not fold up while they are installed.
I thought about doing this and then just removing the seats when not needed.
There are only 5 pins holding the seat to the sideboard and replacing them with quick release pins or similar would be very easy to do.
MS grade quick release pins can be purchased from McMaster Carr as one example of suppliers.
When the seats are removed, the newly installed board would actually look like it is supposed to be there.
I have four extra slats from an extra sideboard / seat that I think I will use for this exact purpose.
Post your resolution here so you can let me (us) know what you do as this helps all. :idea:
PS: There is a TB or MWO for installing the troop seats in the center so that they face outwards and this seems like a good alternative for riders in parades too.
What do you fellow MVers think about this??
Jim

jasonjc

Camo netting is too thin for safty. I thought about useing some 2" ratch straps, easy to put on and take off. Looks like we were all typing at the same time. I like both of the above ideas: the center mount seats and or the made up straps or even the extar boards on each side.

Last edited:

skajm

volleyball net, or the net from some ones old big bouncey thing in the back yard that kids only play for ons summer then it sit a trapline.... of I can not spell it

patch

Just head down to the docks and you're sure to find some old fishing net if you scrounge around. Just leave it out in the sun for a few days to air out! Or you can check this out on your next Hawaiian vacation:- http://www.emagazine.com/view/?4498 PS: I see you live in OK; if you're heading for the docks you may want to pack a lunch.....

jimm1009

Troop seats

Here is the troop seat "reversal" TB picture.
The actual TB is available too but I added this page only for you "viewing pleasure".
The attachment is one PDF page only but the TB number is at the top.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

M813A1

What about using a tailgate net for a pickup ( Air Gate ) they are made of heavy nylon strap?? You could also go to a boat shop and have a net made of strap to match your truck colors !!

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

There is also the cargo/ troop safety strap. I have seen them for sale on ebay by Colemans.
You can buy a few and use where you see fit.

I removed my headrack, and put one across the front behind the cab soft top, and another on the back of the truck. My reasons were just to show more of the cab soft top and take off the headrack, and at the same time keep some sort of a barrier up in front.

I find that a few twists of the strap keep it from loosening in the wind.

Tackettr

I like all the ideas but looks like I,m going to try and make something out of straps. Who knows there may be a market for them.

jimm1009

safety netting

The straps could work well too.

A series of snaps could allow you to remove them when not needed.
Something like a 3 inch tow strap (colored OD Green of course!) or similar could be the ticket.
I thought of something simliar to a belt that we used to werar with BDU's. except two buckles, one on each end.
This could allow the installer to sinch it tight if or when it loosened up or the material stretched.
Many many ways to go.
Let us know what happens. I too have a parade in early May so I need to get geared up too.
I might have to attached the M105A2 to the M25A2C in order to have enough room for parade riders.

Jim :idea:

Tackettr

Jim, you are hitting the nail on the head! I was hoping someone had invented this wheel. Looks like I will be breaking a bunch of needles on my wifes sewing machine!:-D

My thought is two horizontal staps maybe 3" stuff, with buckles on each end to tighten. Then some verticle staps out of 1" stuff with velco loops on each end to wrap around the troop seats, to keep the horizontal one from sagging or spreading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks