• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SAFETY WIRE GAUGE

nkawtg

J.D.

For aircraft usage, we used .020 for cannon plugs and other light duty. For screw/bolts, etc., we used .032. Up to .040 for some other applications. I don't know the Army way for sure or what was actually used, but I'd guess .032. .032 is good/strong for general use, as the .020 was harder to secure without breaking. If you like, I have both that I can send you some (just to save you from having to buy the whole roll).

55Cameo

I don't know what the gauge is for that, but I know that the wire for lacing the ring gear and bearing caps in the diff. is .062. Not that it helps you. I just put a locker in the rear of mine and had to hunt for thick enough wire. Went to a welding shop and they cut off 10 ft. of stainless wire from a big mig machine so I didn't have to buy a $300 roll of wire. I couldn't find it anywhere else that thick. Welding supply places have .035 in 2lb. spools for around $25.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
watch out using welding wire, it will be more brittle then safety wire, it will break easy, also stainless is a lot softer wire, it is not as strong as a steel wire of the same size, the only advantage to stainless steel is that it wont corrode in a damp environment, though it will corrode in other environments

Jones

Kinda down-and-dirty but we just use which ever size will fit through the safety wire holes in the screw or bolt head, or threaded shank. After all, they were drilled to accept the specified safety wire size at time of manufacture.