• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saggy rear end

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 right rear is 26 inches from ground to bumper top, I am 29 on the Left side.
I replaced my right rear leaf spring but No change. I am having a hard time thinking this is a shock. any ideas?

BKinzey

Shocks don't have much to do with ride height, you are correct there. I'd look for something bent around the springs like hangars. Or frozen up with rust. Check both sides.

Might help to jack the wheels off the ground and put stands on the frame to check the drop on eich side.

CCATLETT1984

Is the front level?
I would suspect a bent frame with that much difference in height. Check the height of the frame on both sides, is it the same amount of difference as the bumper?

I have a chart that will show you the frame measurements, to determine if the frame is bent.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's what you could do. I did something like this because my right rear corner was higher than the left. Not three inches higher though.

Find a level spot. Get 4 jack stands. Jack the whole truck off the ground and put the stands under the frame just in front of the rear spring mount and just behing the front shackle mount. Then take your measurments. That would take the suspension out of play.

Mine turned out to be a tweaked body mount and a tweaked frame. The body mount was shimmed. The frame was straightened professionally. Total of both was about an inch.

Yours may have a tweaked frame as well. Could also be a seized shackle bushing on the left side. What tires are you running. Maybe someone with similar tires on their CUCV can take some measurements for you.

Good luck. I hope it's something cheap to fix.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The way our Soldiers drove the M 1009's especially after the HMMWV's came in would easily explain the bent frame. My drivers used to drive 151's off of M 872's with only a two foot hill behind them when no loading ramp was available,,combat offload,, drug the frame along the rear of the trailer. I saw some CUCV's stuck badly and then yanked out with a duece or 816 without regard for keeping the frame or body in good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks