• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saginaw Steering gear input shaft seal

79f250guy

Has anyone replaced the input seal on their saginaw steering gear and happen to know the part number. I'm going to do more digging but wondering if anyone knows off hand.

Thanks,

Matt

79f250guy

well from some digging looks like my easiest option is to replace the whole adjuster.

GM# 7817725 AM General# 5741703 NSN# 2530-01-033-4237

Still would be interested in just the seal number if someone knows it but I figured I would share this.

79f250guy

So just for anyone else future reference I bought the box seal kit from Advance Auto is was Powercraft # 7095. It worked out good because I didn't have to remove the adjuster to replace it. I can post pics of the replacement later if anyone is interested. Super easy and avoided replacing the whole box. [h=1][/h]

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how you replace the seals without removing the adjuster. The military had Saginaw provide what they refer to as a "plug kit". It is the whole adjuster and seal assembly in one package. Mine blew and I replaced it with no issues, other than it was b*ls tight. I was using a non specific pin spanner so I had to remove the steering box and do it on the bench. I see the kits on that big auction site all the time for between 25 and 50.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should add as well that I'm not sure what the extra O ring is for. There is one in the kit as well as on the plug.

79f250guy

I should add as well that I'm not sure what the extra O ring is for. There is one in the kit as well as on the plug.
Yea that's the part number I originally provided. But I wanted to get it done sooner than later and sourced the seal locally. kit was like $8 The seal kit came with o-ring too i assumed it was for the adjuster and did not use it. Here's some pics of how I replaced the seal.

IMG_20161012_161146.jpg
What it looked like when I pulled out the box. Was defiantly easier to just remove it no reason to struggle with it still in the truck I figured.
IMG_20161012_161347.jpg
Cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and a brush and removed the snap ring
IMG_20161012_162258.jpg
Next I used a pick and removed the dust seal
IMG_20161012_162513.jpg
then I took small drill bit with some grease on it and carefully drilled a small hole int the seal and inserted a small 2" screw, careful not to nick the seal surface.
IMG_20161012_163259.jpg
Then I took a pair of side cutters and pried out the seal off the input shaft end. then I lube the new seal with some ATF and used appropriate deep socket to drive in the new seal. lubed and slid on the new dust seal and then snap ring and put her back up in the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks