• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salina Kansas to Lewiston Idaho M923A2

mightyhammer

Well, finally settled in back at home. It is nice to be here.
Won a 923a1 on govplanet. The truck was located at Fort Riley Ks. I really enjoy traveling to different locations to pick up rigs won at auctions. It gets kind of stagnant at home sometimes, so an adventure from time to time keeps the gloom at bay.
I loaded up the pickup with all the essentials and headed off to Kansas. I have to include a note here to inform anyone interested that the truck I won was posted as not running. In the past this has not been an issue as not running generally meant something small that could be repaired fairly easily and off you go! Not the case this time.
I made contact with Glen from BFR metals, known in these parts as 91W350, and got the truck towed to Salina where it was stored at Autohouse Towing and Recoveries secure yard. I arrived early in the morning and after a very short wait was greeted by some very friendly fellas who were off to take care of some business so Mica,( Autohouse manager) left me the remote for the gate so I could come and go as necessary. Im not going to go into extreme detail, but after about two days of tearing into the engine came to the conclusion that either the a bolt had backed out on the converter or the tranny was locked up some how. Just a fuzz more than I was prepared to dive into out in a field with limited tools and supplies to partake in dropping the tranny.
Talked with Glen a bit and we settled on the possibility of a decent truck coming into their yard in the next day or so and doing a trade plus some cash to make up the difference.
Not long after we talked the second load of trucks came into the yard and there was a fairly nice A2 on one of the flatbeds. Things worked out well as it turned out to be a really good truck. I drove it hauling my pickup behind 1500 miles back to Idaho with only one minor incident. Left the battery switch on at the hotel and in the morning came out and the batteries didn't have enough oomph to start it. I didn't have my pickup with me at the time as my girlfriend needed to get to Cody Wy. to get her rig so she could get back home for work( another story) This is where this site comes in very handy and is a testament to the awesome folks who will go out of their way to help in a pinch. I checked to see if there were any members handy in the Cheyenne area(where I was broke down) And found jeffhuey1n and on a whim sent a pm... He called me within an hour and brought out a deuce to jump me off. What an awesome fella! He and his wife were more than helpful and I have some new friends to boot! Truck did well in the passes and got me home safe and sound. I will be throwing in some pics of the truck here as soon as I get them loaded up.

I wish there was some way I could do more than express my extreme gratitude to Glen at BFR (91W350), And Jeff (jeffhuey1n). Only that the good Lord will bless them I am sure of this because they are truly and genuinely good people. Thank You.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you had a safe trip, always fun to have a good road trip. There are some great guys here on the site always willing to help out.

dmetalmiki

Glad you had a successfull outcome. And heart warming to note the help and assistance extended to you. Be nice to see a picture of your aquistion though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it safe and sound and found a good truck to boot.

I was just flew out of Lewiston last month (my dad is in Grangeville). Sure hope to get back to that part of the country on a more permanent basis some day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks