• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salt to dewater wmo?

andyindy

I have heard of this but has anyone here actually done this? I have a tote that I collect all the WMO drainings from my settling tote in and it looks like an emulsion. If I can get the water out, I think this would again be useable fuel. Also if it would work I would use this as an integral part of the clean up process. I'm thinking of using a 3' piece of PVC pipe with small holes drilled in it and capped on each end, and filled with rock salt. And if this would clean up the frankentote, it would be less waste to properly dispose of. :D Yes I know heat is probably the best route to go, but that a little trial and error or total failure is no loss as it is total waste anyway. Any thoughts or recommendations welcome. Thanks, Andy.

bigugh20

I still think that after settling has run it's course a bit of gasoline (maybe 10%) is the best way to settle everything else out. Take a sample in a plastic jug and try it, you may be surprised.

Since I get my WMO 2 to 5 gallons at a time, I pour the newest aquisitions into a 5 gallon plastic water bottle with a screw-on cap. Once I have it all in there, I set the bottle inverted on a wheel rim in the center hole in the sun for a day. The following day, if I see water settled at the bottom, (the neck of the bottle) I simply loosten the cap and let the water run out. Once the water stops and I get oil, I flip the bottle over and strain into my tank. Simple as that. If there's any water hiding in the oil after that, a little alcohol takes care of any remaining water in the fuel system.
:driver:

bigugh20

Thanks, I'll try the gas, what about ethanol blends? With or without?
It doesn't really matter, ethanol will actually bond aggressively with water molecules and sink to the bottom, free stale gas is fine too. You should start to see a dark layer forming on top almost immediately, leave it overnight and you will see how much oil is actually in the solution. Then you can estimate how much you would be able to salvage and determine if it is worth it. Let us know how it turns out.

svd dragunov

recently i found around 20 gallons of old diesel that had a water emulsion in it. the best thing i found was 91% iso alcohol. settled the water out within a day.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know that I would want salt running through my IP. I would think that would really attack the piston in the hydraulic head.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks