• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

San Antonio to Ann arbor Mi (in progress)

redneck rebel

my dad is moving back to michigan right now (my wife and son and I moved back in july). He is moving back now my mom after my sister has her baby (she is with an air force guy stationed down there) and the house sells.

Anyway. He is currently somewhere around Indianapolis (I hope)... Just tried to call him and his battery is dead/phone is off. Maybe someone has seen him. If the schedule stayed the same he should get here around 10 or 11. hopefully he picked up a heater to plug into his power inverter. MAN, its cold out.

69 deuce continental turbo engine. 1544 miles door to door. truck is loaded! actually looks like the deuce is squating. his pickup is squating and the jeep is tagging along.

truck1.jpgtruck2.jpgtruck3.jpegtruck4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck rebel

its legal in texas. Not sure about the rest of the way.

and he has had some convo's with cops, and all the convo's have been "thanks for your service. AWESOME military vehicles, and good luck on the rest of your trip". no questions of legality or anything. Most cops wont harass him, BUT it only takes one. (knock on wood)

Correction. He came up through Cincinnati instead of indy. he is making his way through cincinnati at this moment (just got off phone, cant hardly hear him over the deuce). 250 miles left. about 4.5-5 hours at 55ish. once he gets a little more north it flattens out pretty good and his average should climb.

expecting him about 11-11:30.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking deuce. How did or does that train handle?

Might be cold now, but Michigan is a great state and the Ann Arbor area is nice. I'm from a few minutes south of there and I miss it.

redneck rebel

Nice looking deuce. How did or does that train handle?

Might be cold now, but Michigan is a great state and the Ann Arbor area is nice. I'm from a few minutes south of there and I miss it.
we are actually from milan... if you are from just south of there you know where that is. Thats where I live now. probably moving to dexter or chelsea in the near future.

Anyway, I started in milan, and graduated (spent 7th through 12th) in houghton lake where we moved to "get away from the city"... I/we love michigan. Missed it the whole time I was in the military. very glad to be back.

Oh, and my dad said the train actually pulls and handles really well. just dont try to backup!!!

redneck rebel

Road train! I hope the rest of his journey is as safe as the trip has been so far. Is he on SS? What is his screen name?
that is kind of mine and his project. No he is not on the sight. I am the techy one. I do all the posting and scheduling. if any of you are up here in the area you will meet us at the meets and events around here...

we traded one of the jeeps (73 cj5) that I picked up for him for his birthday for 2k for the deuce... he likes his willy's better (and it doesnt run!)

redneck rebel

FYI, he made it successfully. very little problems. First day he ran out of fuel. I guess fuel gauge started to malfunction near dallas, and he was going by mileage, and ran out as he was exiting. a good ole boy in a diesel drug him to the gas station.

Then he had an air line come off the back of the compressor. he had to get a new line and compression fitting at a hardware store, but was able to resolve that.

Other than that no problems. truck ran great. gotta get a Tstat for it now though. it wont come up to operating temp when its below 20 outside.