• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sand

SquirmyPug

First post here, got a quick question. I'm looking at buying a 1967 Deuce, but don't know that it will do what I want. I drive on the beach allot, and want to use the deuce to get out there. Heavy pickups (3/4ton+) with 4x4 sometimes get stuck out there, is the deuce going to have trouble on sand like those trucks? My old truck (nissan hardbody 4x4) did great and my new truck (dodge 15004x4) does good. I just don't want to buy the truck and bury it in the sand the first time I go.. Thanks for any information.

welldigger

If your running 395 super singles and you air the tires down the deuce will do ok in the sand. The fun part is airing the tires back up when your ready to leave.

SquirmyPug

Thanks guys. Flyingvan, I'm sure airing down would help but 5psi seems low.. Maybe its not though, I don't own a deuce yet so I've got no idea 8) If I did air down allot, any idea how long the OBA would take to fill each tire?

welldigger

With 395s you can count on about 15 min or longer a tire. That is using the on board air system of the truck.

I run 35 psi in the front and 30 in the rear. These are large tires that require large volumes of air. This is also running a standard air chuck. A large bore one would speed this process up.

ke5eua

With 395s you can count on about 15 min or longer a tire. That is using the on board air system of the truck.

I run 35 psi in the front and 30 in the rear. These are large tires that require large volumes of air. This is also running a standard air chuck. A large bore one would speed this process up.
I keep hearing about large bore air chuck. Is that something I can change, and it is just the stem or my air chuck or both?

Also, in a world of laziness, I mean being safety is there a chuck that you can dial the pressure you want and not have to worry about over inflation? I had one of those fancy digital compressors that you could set the pressure and it would stop, but learned it didn't work so well on my class b motor home.

MtnSnow

It will be the front tires that give you the biggest headache with the 9.00 ndc's. The duals usually do fairly decent in sand as the sand can pack up between the wheels

resqur

The NDT's will cut the sane and bury you in no time flat, even aired down. I've been all around the sand dunes in Idaho with my 395'5.

welldigger

I keep hearing about large bore air chuck. Is that something I can change, and it is just the stem or my air chuck or both?

Also, in a world of laziness, I mean being safety is there a chuck that you can dial the pressure you want and not have to worry about over inflation? I had one of those fancy digital compressors that you could set the pressure and it would stop, but learned it didn't work so well on my class b motor home.
I guess I should have given more detail. It is both a large bore air chuck and large bore valve stem. You will have to swap the valve stems in the wheels.

As far as a set and forget air chuck, I'm not sure. Truthfully, you would have to be pretty negligent to over inflate a super single. It takes a good 15 to 20 min with a good compressor to air a 395 up to 35 or 40psi. I have heard of them being aired up to 100 psi on mraps. Don't know if that's the tire pressure they run them at on mraps but it's not uncommon to find with surplus 395s on mrap wheels.

I'm not even sure I would trust a set and forget air chuck. Mostly because it breeds complacency. That's when things get deadly.

rustystud

I would never take a deuce with the stock 9.00X20 tires out on the beach. Long ago when I was in the Marines, I was on field maneuvers at Camp Pendelton . One night the senior staff got themselves drunk and decided to take the motor vehicle platoon out for a ride. I was just a newly made sergeant so I didn't argue with them and told the men to mount up. We headed to the beach, it was around 2:00am and pitch black out. When we got to the beach, the "Top" said "lets get them wet !" . Knowing this was a really bad idea I only allowed one truck out on the beach. Of course it got stuck, I mean really stuck ! with the tide coming in. By now this situation sobered up the senior staff and they wanted that truck out of there now ! Naturally it became my problem. I put my best driver in the cab and with 40 motivated Marines pushing and pulling on that truck we got it out. Of course we all got really wet as the water was over 2 feet deep by now, but we got it out. Needless to say I never toke a truck out into the beach again.

61sleepercab

The WWII Army deuce ducks aired down for sand conditions and they ran 20" rubber. I cannot recall the PSI exactly but 10-15 PSI rings a bell. They had a chart painted on the dash with the PSI for different conditions.

Crawdaddy

Please give that either a proper farewell or buy it and restore it. So sad to see it rotting away.
I'm pretty sure that I've seen that truck and that it is owned by one of the guys who rents jetskis. I believe he uses it to go drag everything out of the water.

SquirmyPug

Thanks guys. May not be a great idea to buy it I guess, I don't want to buy supersingles right after buying the truck. Don't want to buy it and find out it won't make it to where I want to go.

whiskey357

Banned
welcome well for running the sand with a deuce...first get some 395 singles ...great tire and a gas powered air compressor for the back in the bed that way you can air all you want or don't...also get a front mounted winch...great for pulling things like you out of the sand...........and a rear mounted winch works also....got stuck in sand with lots of cars and trucks...it sucks the big one....get a dune buggy more fun and lots of running .......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks