• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sandblaster for WMO Pump

coolnick73

I'm not one of THOSE guys

Well I finally bit the bullet and made a trip to Mill's Fleet Farm and got all my bits and pieces for my filter setup.

I went from a 3/8" hose on the sandblaster to a 3/4" hydraulic filter which has a bypass so I don't know how well it will work. Then to a 1" filter base with a Fram oil filter then through a 1" water absorbing fuel filter to some Jerry cans I picked up at a local auction (4 for $10).

Not counting the compressor or sand blaster, I spent about $130 for the filters and fittings.

I still have to get a better system for mounting the whole thing. Right now it just held up by some zip ties to a saw horse.

Attachments

Preacherboy

Any updates as to how your setup is working? I want to build something similar and I am considering an air run pump or a hand crank pump to push WMO through filters and into the fuel tank.

southdave

Preacherboy- Your in MI you have apples there? I belive you do. Have you ever made Apple Jack? This time of year is the best for processing this crap. A couple below freezing nights above freezing days, and what found is the floaty crap works it way to the bottom as does the water it freeze I use a barrel pump (air power) because my arm will fall off useing the hand pump. also add about a gal and half of gas to the oil it flows better then I dump and run if it looks ok, if still looking like crap I though it in an old water heater ( with one element) heat to about 125 F and pump itthough some filters after i drain the water off the bottom

Last edited:

coolnick73

Any updates as to how your setup is working? I want to build something similar and I am considering an air run pump or a hand crank pump to push WMO through filters and into the fuel tank.
Well I have been in a holding pattern since the weather has turned colder. I don't really want to be running WMO below freezing and I am out of storage space. But so far I have only run about 10 gallons through it and all seems well.

Preacherboy- Your in MI you have apples there? I belive you do. Have you ever made Apple Jack? This time of year is the best for processing this crap. A couple below freezing nights above freezing days, and what found is the floaty crap works it way to the bottom as does the water it freeze I use a barrel pump (air power) because my arm will fall off useing the hand pump. also add about a gal and half of gas to the oil it flows better then I dump and run if it looks ok, if still looking like crap I though it in an old water heater ( with one element) heat to about 125 F and pump itthough some filters after i drain the water off the bottom
I was wondering about this the other day as I have some hydraulic fluid that when I drained it from the tractor it looked like a melted vanilla milk shake. So at normal temps the oil floats on top of the water, but does the same water when frozen float to the top of the oil?

coolnick73

I found my own answer:

Density of motor oil 56.2 lb/ft^3
Density of water 62.4 lb/ft^3
Density of ice 57.4 lb/ft^3

I am not sure how the density of oil changes below freezing.

Preacherboy

What I had in mind was getting several barrels and collecting used oil, hydrolic fluid, and transmission fluid; then getting one of those inexpensive pumps you hook up to a compressor (as mentioned earlier). Then running some goldenrod fuel filters (1 fuel filter and then 1 water separator) which then would pump into the deuce's fuel tank.

Only thing I wish is that I could get a 30-40 micron filter to start with and then have the 10 micron water separator after that, just have not been able to find one yet.

So you think this would work?

southdave

What I had in mind was getting several barrels and collecting used oil, hydrolic fluid, and transmission fluid; then getting one of those inexpensive pumps you hook up to a compressor (as mentioned earlier). Then running some goldenrod fuel filters (1 fuel filter and then 1 water separator) which then would pump into the deuce's fuel tank.

Only thing I wish is that I could get a 30-40 micron filter to start with and then have the 10 micron water separator after that, just have not been able to find one yet.

So you think this would work?
It a heck of lot more eff. if you change the viscosity of the oil before you filter either by heat or by chemical ( adding a lighter petro. product). I would suggest heat. adding fuel to it stinks and can be flamable. I use an old elect. water heater with only the bottom element, top element is removed and have plug in it for filling and venting I leave it open most of the time. the thermo stat is set for about 125 degrees, takes about 30-45 to get to temp, also the drain at the bottom is useful for draining off water and slugg, then I pump though a set of filters 25 and a 10 gose quick

Last edited:

wb1895

My plan is this...it is still in the planing stages, so bear with me. My father works on industial machines all the time and has an almost unlimited supply of WMO, ATF, hydraulic fluid, ect....He and I decided to build a filter system that is portable, using a diafram(spelling) pump that we can run by tapping into the deuces air supply. The pump will be pushing the oil through a series of filters so I always have clean oil. So, I pull the deuce up to a factory, whip out the pump, and start pumping into the fuel tank or into barrels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks