• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sanding 1971 M35A2

Boots787

Hello, all -
My M35A2 is in a body shop that was going to paint the truck with 24087; I gave them 3-gallons plus a gallon of red oxide primer. They started sanding on the right door and just called me to say that they will paint it, but they will not sand it. They said the dust from sanding is effecting workers and those in the office. I live in Syracuse, NY area and am asking if any of you folks may have some ideas for my options; I really want this truck painted back to it's 1971 - there's no rust on the entire truck.

Any advise will surely be appreciated.
Thank you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy and I found out from his setting a wood/trash fire on a Deuce hood that CARC just falls right off.

Set the truck on fire. When it cools down all the CARC will be on the ground. No problem.

(Yes, that's humor.)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep the sanding dust from CARC is toxic. You should only mess with the old 2 part CARC in a level B protective outfit.

FloridaAKM

MWMules is spot on. There are other ways of removing the CARC paint, but it is a lengthy process of applying a stripper & covering it with plastic wrap section by section & scraping till it is all off.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your body shop is not equipped properly.

If it is treated like any other automotive polyurethane based paint, all is well.

Boots787

I've received a lot of answers to my CARC question and appreciate all of them ... especially setting the Deuce on fire. Well, I'm not going to do that, but still don't know my next move on getting this truck painted.
Thanks again.
Boots

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've received a lot of answers to my CARC question and appreciate all of them ... especially setting the Deuce on fire. Well, I'm not going to do that, but still don't know my next move on getting this truck painted.
Thanks again.
Boots
You got any sandblasters near by?

Boots787

Dawico ...
Wet sandBLASTING or are you talking about wet SANDING paper? Would wet sandpaper application using wet or dry with water prevent this problem? That's a lot of truck to hand-sand, tho ... but it IS a way if there's no problem doing that. Thanks ...

Woodsplinter

Boots- I sanded my deuce using a 5" random orbit sander hooked to a shop vac with a HEPA filter. I wore a good face mask and only sanded enough to smooth out the paint and remove loose paint. It's not necessary to go to the metal as long as the original paint is firmly attached.

It took me a couple of days and I had no health problems.

If your body shop can't handle that... well I don't know what to tell you. If they're sanding without proper personal protective equipment, OSHA might like to chat with them.

Woodsplinter

I was told that sandblasting is even worse than sanding. At least my bodyshop guy won't do it.
Another AZ member sandblasted his deuce prior to painting- he spent a long time removing sand from nooks and crannies before he could paint. Now 2 years later he's still finding sand.. everywhere.