• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saracen mk2, buying one for cheap.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The B80 red lines is about 4K. Any repower might best match the rpm range to keep the same 40mph top speed with factory gearbox. The RR B series are very rugged. If it has compression and oil press you will prob not have to do anything but tune up. The thermostat has a bypass and the low melting point metal has usually fallen out. The holes can be plugged with small button head cap screws. If it has the special .015" gap platinum plugs they can be replaced with std mil plugs for better anti-fouling performance

rmgill

Northwoods, the transmission isn't an automatic. It's a manual, but the british nomenclature is that it's a Self Changing gear box. If handled correctly the transmission is in fact stronger than a typical gear box.

First Rule:
Don't slip the clutch, it's not a clutch, it's a gear change pedal.

Second Rule:
Don't idle stopped while in gear. That overheats the fluid flywheel (power connection between engine and transmission) and ruins your seal allowing fluid to leak out.

Third Rule:
Don't run in too low a gear for a given speed, that can over heat the fluid flywheel.

Basic operation involves preselecting a gear before you change. You can move the lever all you want. It doesn't change into the gear you've preselected until you stomp on the pedal and let back up (smartly, don't treat it like a clutch remember). Now you're in the gear you selected.

Say you're starting off. You start the engine up up neutral (gearbox) warm it up then preselect first gear (change the lever to 1st). Stomp on the gear change pedal (and let it back up) then step on the gas pedal and you're off. Preselect 2nd and when you get to near redline (the governor should limit your revs here), let off the gas and at the same time stomp the gear change pedal. If you do this correctly, you'll have a VERY smooth transition from 1st to 2nd Gear.

Downshifting is similar depending on what you're doing.

There are two ways this happens. If you're going up a hill and you're running RPM down due to the slope of the hill, preselct the next lower gear and as RPM's get to 1500 or so, stomp the gear change pedal and you'll now be in a lower gear. There is no reason to fiddle with the gas.

The other area is where you're coming to a lower speed, let the RPM fall off by letting off the gas pedal. Preselect the lower gear and as you get to the middle of the range, you can engage that gear. You can do this more peculiar ways, but you want to minimize the difference in speed between the gear box and the engine when you make the change. The fluid flywheel minimizes the impact to the system when you do this (as in all situations).

willey10

great find and I see it was reg. in Maine how did that sneak around and we missed it !! I had 2 Ford T16's (AKA Bren Gun Carrier ) find me a few years back always head turners when your moving this green stuff around.

Speedy

do you have any updates? even little things with pics would be great.
did you find it on craigslist?
wow 1000$ that is something I can afford, would have been great for me
to get into this green fever that way! :D you ever end up selling it for around that LMK :razz: lol.

simonm

Bodywork looks to be in good condition. A word of advice, even though the front paneling that covers the radiator looks ugly, it is very important. Yours is a reverse cooling version so the air is sucked in through the turrets to the rear of the engine compartment and blown out frontwards through the radiator. Though this makes no difference when stationary, when driving forward, the forward movement counteracts the fans and kills the cooling, the rest is obvious.

Not a Mark6. I've got a MK6, Those are normally uparmoured and have normal cooling, also the driver's seat is bigger, MK6 is I think normally a MKI re-engineered.

I like the comment about "If it leaks its British" my old 6.2 Diesel Chevy Blazer leaked. Always made sure I never used the same parking space at work so it looked like every car had a bit of a leak!:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks