• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sarge paints his M820

Coveralls

Way to go Sarge! I am prepping my 816 for paint in a few weeks. I get the rust off with a wire wheel, scraper and wire brush. Never thought of the masking tape idea, maybe I'll try it. What happens in my driveway is I prime the bare metal with Ace brand of rustolium. Then me and Mr. Miller Lite sit in a chair and stare at the truck. Then we just wing it and put only the color that belongs there in that spot. I also use the Harbor Freight gun. I hope to order the paint from your fellow Texicans this week if I can get a rain day. I too am not interested in museum paint jobs as none of my MV's will ever work in a museum :lol:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gillespie red oxide primer coat. Then Gillespie CARC substitute 383 on top of that.....from Rapco
Since it will take a small eternity for Sarge to get around to answering you, and since I was there, I will audaciously answer for him.

Colour codes are Green 34094, brown 30051, and black 37030.

Sarge is alive and well, he has just been busy putting up his little tool shed recently. It is a mere 60' x 100' steel structure, almost done now (just has to put the roll-up doors on).
He is the busiest retired guy I have ever met!

Cheers

Edit- added a teaser picture of Sarge's shop. He will have to post the rest. No more working out in the elements!

Attachments

Last edited:

crasheej

I have never understood where those fancy paint jobs came out to be motor pool paint jobs. The ones I was involed with were done like sarges. The new trucks were never as good as some that you see at the showes. Way to go sarge.:nothingfunny:

laserlee123

Here is a few of my m820 photos.

Some knuckleheads tagged my m820 and m915, graffiti, so it left me no option but to paint.

I bought my carc from Sherman Williams, military grade government specs. It was easy to paint too, no runs, dries fast.

Photos to follow, iPads are hard to upload pictures.

Last edited:

dieselsmokem35a2

Here is a few of my m820 photos.

Some knuckleheads tagged my m820 and m915, graffiti, so it left me no option but to paint.

I bought my carc from Sherman Williams, military grade government specs. It was easy to paint too, no runs, dries fast.

Photos to follow, iPads are hard to upload pictures.
Sherwin Williams will sell CARC to civilians!? I just sent them an Email asking about this bt haven't heard back yet. Did you just order it from your local store? Would be interested to know the details.

lawdog1623

Sarge, i have acquired an m35a2. The camo carc needs to be redone and there are small parts of rust around hinges and such. Somd of the paint is peeling. Can you please detail the most efficient way to remove rust and loose paint in these areas. Is tgere a chemical that will cut through the rust? Can i paint over the carc?

Anyone plz help! I want to restore this beaitiful truxk

lawdog1623

Im going to be sandblasting my truck before the end of the momth and then priming it. Kinda nice to have a higher up with napa in the immediate family. I got the pro sandblasting unit. Now i need a respirator and a paint gun from harbor freight. Im going with all od green behr paint. Ill start a thread on my refurb. Thx all

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks