• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saturated Brake Shoes

Duece&aHound

I am replacing all the brake wheel cylinders since at least half are leaking on my duece. I am going to replace the brake shoes on the front axle with new shoes , but I am wondering if I can get by with using the existing shoes on the rear two axles even though some of them are saturated with brake fluid. The rear two axles shoes have have plenty of life left on them, not much wear, except they are saturated with fluid. What do you guys think??

cbvet

I replace or reline when I can.
But I have also used plenty of "saturated" shoes, after saturating them with brake cleaner & drying them thoroughly with an electric heater or out in the hot sun.
I don't know if it's a good idea, but it's worked for me.

stumps

There shouldn't be a problem if you soak them well in brake cleaner. On servo brakes, saturated linings tend to get a little grabby, and skid the tires, but the non servo brakes in a deuce should be fine.

-Chuck

Stalwart

I don't recommend it but I did it on the HEMTT, I didn't have access to new shoes on a Sunday and I needed the truck. They seemed to work fine but with 8 large brakes on the truck, who can tell if one isn't working quite right. Mine were saturated with wheel bearing grease and SAE 90. A good scrubbing with brake cleaner got them pretty clean and no oil to the touch.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old-time truck mechanic I know surface cleans the brake shoes and then puts them into the oven to "bake out" the oil. It appears to be working, but you may require a very understanding wife.

I just replaced mine. For what they cost I figured I tear into the brakes and have peace of mind.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Replace them-they are so cheap, I just can't justify the risk.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old-time truck mechanic I know surface cleans the brake shoes and then puts them into the oven to "bake out" the oil. It appears to be working, but you may require a very understanding wife.
....or negotiate to use a heat gun instead while she bakes..... a good apple pie!:D

Yes, solvent and heat, alternatively, until no more oil comes up to the surface.

G.

KRaiskio

Ive done the cook and clean method over the years. Im not a huge fan. I just think with brakes that you should spare no expense to do it right. If I have saturated brake linings I always suggest to replace them. I have had some old Macks and REOs that I have put back together till I could get new linings to rivit on.

stumps

The main considerations with replacement vs restoration, are whether you have asbestos or modern composite linings, bonded or riveted linings.

Drum brakes were never intended to run anything but asbestos linings. When the great switchover occurred in the trucking industry, there were exploding brake drum stories nearly every week. The non-asbestos linings get hotter, and require significantly more pressure to achieve the same level of braking as asbestos linings.

So, if you have asbestos, consider saving them. If you have composite linings, throwing them away is a viable and desirable solution. Don't mix lining types!

Riveted, or screwed brake linings are the mainstay of heavy truck drum brake systems. Bonded linings are standard on car drum brakes. Oils and fluid contamination can sometimes (rarely) damage the bonding substance (glue isn't really the right word) used to fasten the linings on bonded brakes. Riveted linings don't care, as they are mechanically fastened to the shoes. Deuces should all have riveted linings... I don't know if bonded linings ever show up on deuces.

That said, I have restored saturated linings numerous times. For oil soaked linings, it takes a sequence of scrubbing down with brake cleaner, and heating the shoes... Just like with oilite bearings, heat forces the oil out of the lining material.... Heat them on a pad of newspaper, and after they stop oozing, wipe them down hot with a cotton rag. When they cool down to just warm scrub them with brake cleaner again. It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour. Brake fluid soaked linings are comparatively easy. With highly water soluble DOT3 fluid, a simple sudsy water wash down is all you need... Simple Green works well. With silicone DOT5, a brake cleaner scrub down will do the job.

One other thing: Passenger cars with drum brakes usually have servo brakes, meaning that the brake shoes are free to pivot in such a way that they self actuate, making pedal pressure lower. If you clean linings with servo brakes, and the linings retain some of the contamination, they can get grabby as the vehicle slows down. This can cause the contaminated brake to lock up hard, making control of the vehicle challenging. The moral is do an extra especially good job of cleaning the linings on servo brakes, or more simply, just replace them.

The Deuce does not have servo brakes. It relies on a very powerful air assist system to make the pedal pressure acceptable. The brakes won't usually lock up unless something is severely worn out (drums, shoes), or broken.

-Chuck

Snarky

Where are you guys getting cheap brake shoes? OD Iron has them for 25$ for one or 48$ for 2. At 6 wheels thats about 300$ for shoes all the way around with shipping and such... Half the price of a 600$ GL truck or a tenth of the price of a 3000$ private seller truck. Is there a cheaper source that has them for a comparable price to a 5$ can of good brake cleaner?

Saturn is 29$ per shoe or 28$ for a lining kit.
Memphis is 39$ per shoe, 28$ after core refund.
Boyce didn't seem to have them listed.
Eastern Surplus is 27$ per shoe.
Desert Deuce didn't list them.
Clark Truck didn't list them.

Is there a place where they aren't about 30 bucks a pop?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where are you guys getting cheap brake shoes? OD Iron has them for 25$ for one or 48$ for 2. At 6 wheels thats about 300$ for shoes all the way around with shipping and such... Half the price of a 600$ GL truck or a tenth of the price of a 3000$ private seller truck. Is there a cheaper source that has them for a comparable price to a 5$ can of good brake cleaner?

Saturn is 29$ per shoe or 28$ for a lining kit.
Memphis is 39$ per shoe, 28$ after core refund.
Boyce didn't seem to have them listed.
Eastern Surplus is 27$ per shoe.
Desert Deuce didn't list them.
Clark Truck didn't list them.

Is there a place where they aren't about 30 bucks a pop?
Ebay-I watch every week and whenever they go cheap, I buy. Do not pay more than more than maybe $12 per shoe, plus some shipping. I have gotten lucky and bought 4 shoes for under $40 shipped occasionally. The problem is when you need them NOW you can't be patient like me on ebay. That's why I stock up on them beforehand.

Also, last time I bought Motorcraft pads for the front of my F-150, they were about $140. For 4 pads. So yes, $300 is cheap.

And what you paid for the truck has NO bearing whatsoever on what replacement parts should cost.

Wait till you buy 11 tires, tubes and flaps. :shock:

rlwm211

I clean brake shoes that are splattered with either oil or brake fluid with brake cleaner as described above. I also sand the brake surface to take off the top layer of contaminated material. I am talking about mostly "freshening" the surface and this seems to remove the discolored material from the shoes. I am talking about a couple of thousandths or so.
I have found that by sanding you improve the reliable operation of the brakes and it is equally important to clean the drum as carefully.
I do not run my truck, or any of my vehicles very much once I detect a leak that is contaminating the shoes. If you get the drum off quickly and clean the mess up, you remove a lot of the risk of damage where if you run for weeks and months with a leaking seal or wheel cylinder you make the replacement of the shoes almost mandatory.

Just my two cents

RL

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I clean brake shoes that are splattered with either oil or brake fluid with brake cleaner as described above. I also sand the brake surface to take off the top layer of contaminated material. I am talking about mostly "freshening" the surface and this seems to remove the discolored material from the shoes. I am talking about a couple of thousandths or so.
I have found that by sanding you improve the reliable operation of the brakes and it is equally important to clean the drum as carefully.
RL
I have been sanding brake shoes as above for many years after cleaning and have gotten very good results. I have never done this on a Deuce, but I would expect similar results. If you have asbestos lining, don't breath the dust!

pat038536

Since I didn't want to wait a week, I took my shoes to Capitol Clutch and Brake in West Sacramento. It did cost a little more then buying them online.. but I got my shoes back in a couple of hours.
For roughly under $50 a shoe, they were cleaned, painted and relined.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks