• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saturn Surplus Shortage

goldneagle

I ordered some new weatherstripping for the door glass on my 5 ton 2 days ago from Saturn Surplus. I received an email today that they are out of stock! I thought they were already on their way here- only to find out they were not coming!

Unlike some of the other MV surplus sites their ordering process is terrible! I had to have 2 windows open in order to copy and paste the info into the order form. Other sites are much simpler, all you do is click on the item and it is added to your cart.

Saturn must not be keeping up with inventory since they site still showed the items as available. If I had been notified sooner I could have ordered the items from Erik's and had them already on their way here. Instead it's 2 days later and I just ordered them from Erik's Military and industrial Surplus. So much for gettin-er done!

I know how some of the members LOVE Saturn Surplus but I think their service is lousy! Bought a Wiper upgrade kit from them last year...what a Chinese piece of ****!
:rant:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard great things about the owner, but the thing is, the owner is never there. Not sure the name of the low-level wonk is who works there, but he is pretty lousy in his caring for customers when you show up. He almost has an attitude of, "what are you doing here?" when you come in the door. He doesn't seem too motivated to answer questions, and when he is confused I have to show him on his own website what I am referring to. To be honest, I don't like dealing with him.

ditto, GE, I have been to their website many times, it is designed poorly, and I have NEVER seen it updated at all.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I order over the phone, and stuff is here the next day. Seem to remember talking to a Jay? Haven't ordered anything lately.

OLDCHEV4X4

I called and asked about a fuel tank for a 5kw genset, and the owner said yes we got one. I called back a couple weeks later to confirm and the 'Wonk' said no we dont have them. I like going there because its so close to Colemans.

thewhistler

I had pretty decent luck with Saturn. Prices are far superior to that of TNJ Murray. You do have to phone your order in and be sure to speak with Jay. He knows more than the owner. Just my experience with them.

Last edited:

jerseyjello

I have ordered a number of things from Saturn and I always had good dealings with them. I always deal with Jay, he does know alot and is very helpfull.

Massm35a2

I like Saturn, I've got a number of things there and got fast shipping. There webside needs work. Should be a better Inventory/ordering system.

Best website I use at work all the time is McMaster Carr, The best search engine ever, Looking for a bolt, it walks you through to the exect one you want ands even gives a cad drawing of the part :-D

papercu

Should be a better Inventory/ordering system
You guys needed to be around before the Internet, back then you either went there (thats was great!) or you tried to tell the guy over the phone what you needed and hoped they could figured it out and then wait weeks before it came. Wayne

steelandcanvas

Jay is the man at Saturn Surplus...always polite, good customer service. I agree, the website could use some help. I always call in my order and speak with Jay. What's a "wonk"?

randyscycle

My experience with Saturn has been great on the telephone, but ordering from their website is not worth the trouble. I think the orders get forgotten or shuffled in the e-mail pile.

Call and you usually get exactly what you need within a week.

No.2Diesel

I've never had a bad experience with Saturn. It's the only place where I can get oil and fuel filters that come with the proper "cardboard" washers and o-rings!! I keep forgetting what brand filters they are cuz' I'm so excited that they come with the right s--t!!:p

I've bought Baldwins, LuberFiners, Wix, etc. and have had to flip the washer over, re-use it and hope it doesn't leak.

I've never bought anything electronically over the internet. Always person to person to verify. The "internets";-) is great but its better to speak with a human:p

M725

I've never had a bad experience with Saturn. It's the only place where I can get oil and fuel filters that come with the proper "cardboard" washers and o-rings!! I keep forgetting what brand filters they are cuz' I'm so excited that they come with the right s--t!!:p

I've bought Baldwins, LuberFiners, Wix, etc. and have had to flip the washer over, re-use it and hope it doesn't leak.

I've never bought anything electronically over the internet. Always person to person to verify. The "internets";-) is great but its better to speak with a human:p
Ditto