• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saved another one REO M35

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have saved this one, will be moved to my yard in April just glad I was able to help the owner with more than he was asking too, 20150216_085635 2 (Large).jpgthis was more about helping him than the truck.
This is just my small way to help when I can, he is a very nice person too.

Another Ahab

You can see some ghosting on the side of the engine compartment:

- "Antioch"

Also looks like somebody gave her some custom ventilating (drilled three nice round holes); those aren't normal there, are they?

Wonder what's her story. Do you have any idea?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can see some ghosting on the side of the engine compartment:

- "Antioch"

Also looks like somebody gave her some custom ventilating (drilled three nice round holes); those aren't normal there, are they?

Wonder what's her story. Do you have any idea?
I'm guessing that whoever drilled those holes had a BUICK fetish. Buick designers thought those hood/fender-faux-exhaust-ports made their cars "look" as fast as a P-51 Mustang fighter plane.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That an actual story? The reasoning behind that Buick feature!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick#VentiPorts

A traditional Buick styling cue dating to 1949 is a series of three or four vents on the front fender behind the front wheels. The source of this design feature was a custom car of Buick stylist Ned Nickles, which in addition had a flashing light within each hole each synchronized with a specific spark plug simulating the flames from the exhaust stack of a fighter airplane. Combined with the bombsight mascot (introduced in 1946), VentiPorts put the driver at the controls of an imaginary fighter airplane. The flashing light feature was not used by Buick in production, but VentiPorts remained as nonfunctional ornamentation.
They were called VentiPorts because the 1949 sales brochure noted that VentiPorts helped ventilate the engine compartment to minimize the engine overheating. The suggestion was made that they allowed air flow out of the engine bay. Air entered from the grill into the engine bay and was pressurized by the radiator fan, and exited through the VentiPorts. The benefit might have been true in early 1949, but sometime during the model year they became plugged.
The installation of VentiPorts was a reference to Buick having participated in the war effort by supplying over 74,000 Pratt & Whitney radial engines that were installed in B-24 Liberator aircraft. Buick also supplied Pratt & Whitney engines in the Douglas C-47 Skytrain and Douglas C-54 Skymaster.[SUP][36][/SUP][SUP][37][/SUP] GM also had a controlling interest in North American Aviation from 1933 until 1948, the company that built the P51 Mustang fighter plane. GM also owned the Allison Engine Company, the manufacturer of the Allison V-1710 V-12 engine that was used in the Lockheed P-38, Bell P-39 and Curtiss P-40.
When introduced, the number of VentiPorts (three or four) denoted the size of straight-eight engine installed. Since displacement differences in straight-eight engines resulted in more dramatic differences in engine length than on V8s, the Buick Roadmaster (which was the only model at this time with the larger engine) needed a longer chassis in front of the cowl to accommodate the larger engine. Thus an extra VentiPort also corresponded directly to the necessary extra length in front. After the more compact V8 replaced the straight-eight engine in 1953 this difference in chassis length was no longer needed. Nevertheless, the convention remained. Consequently, when the Buick Century, which shared the Buick Special's smaller body, was reintroduced in 1954, it also received four VentiPorts to denote its engine's greater displacement. However, in 1955, the Buick Super, which shared Roadmaster's larger body, was promoted from three to four VentiPorts despite having the smaller displacement engine. In turn, the Buick Invicta which took the place of the Buick Century in 1959, and consequently had the smaller body with the larger displacement engine, was demoted from four to three VentiPorts on introduction. Thus the number of VentiPorts came to denote body size rather than engine size.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, do you know where the name BUICK came from??

Remember the yellow/gray and pink/gray Buicks of the 1950's and 1960's...... When most people saw those colors they frequent retched, doubled over and vomited with a loud B-U-I-C-K sound!!!

Another Ahab

A traditional Buick styling cue dating to 1949 is a series of three or four vents on the front fender behind the front wheels. The source of this design feature was a custom car of Buick stylist Ned Nickles, which in addition had a flashing light within each hole each synchronized with a specific spark plug simulating the flames from the exhaust stack of a fighter airplane. Combined with the bombsight mascot (introduced in 1946), VentiPorts put the driver at the controls of an imaginary fighter airplane. The flashing light feature was not used by Buick in production, but VentiPorts remained as nonfunctional ornamentation.

The installation of VentiPorts was a reference to Buick having participated in the war effort by supplying over 74,000 Pratt & Whitneyradial engines that were installed in B-24 Liberator aircraft. Buick also supplied Pratt & Whitney engines in the Douglas C-47 Skytrain and Douglas C-54 Skymaster.[SUP][36][/SUP][SUP][37][/SUP] GM also had a controlling interest in North American Aviation from 1933 until 1948, the company that built the P51 Mustang fighter plane. GM also owned the Allison Engine Company, the manufacturer of the Allison V-1710 V-12 engine that was used in the Lockheed P-38, Bell P-39 and Curtiss P-40.
I'll be dipped...never knew all this. How cool is that!?

Thanks, ColdWarrior.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks