• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

saving military communications gear at hamfests

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you ever see SINCGARS RT-1439s or RT-1523s at hamfests? These seem to have dried up on ebay and Murphy's.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up the AN-GRC-19 transmitter and R-392 receiver , still looking for a MT 851 mount and a Dog Bone . I also have the H-301 Handset and LS-166 speaker . What would be the right antenna to use for this unit ? Supposedly , The R-392 receivers are in demand by Ham operators , my receiver appears to be a early model ,100_1510.jpg Both units look pretty complete , just cleaning it up and figuring out what else I need .100_1513.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you ever see SINCGARS RT-1439s or RT-1523s at hamfests? These seem to have dried up on ebay and Murphy's.
If Murphy doesn't have it, noone does! :) I have never seen a SINCGARS radio at a hamfest, though I have seen mounts, amps, and related antenna gear for them there. The radios are like hen's teeth - if you ever see one SNAG IT because you are probably not going to see one again!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Went to the Nutmeg hamfest thus morning. When I was younger I remember it being huge. Not anymore unfortunately. Got a nice wood cabinet Zenith shortwave radio with the eye tuning tube. Not military but still neat. Not too much military stuff there.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today was the last local hamfest of the year! Well, local is relative, it was 2 hours away, and normally I wouldn't have spent the gas to get there, but I was visiting my brother further north and stopped in on the way back. Location was Westminster MD, a small club show; club shows are smaller and more friendly than big expositions, and the prices are better, just don't expect more than 100 people there tailgating.

I got there late at 9:30am (yes, at most hamfests 9:30 is LATE, they pack up starting around 11am, so the closer to dawn the better), and I'm sure I missed a couple green radios there. I was actually surprised that I brought $100 to the show, and I spent only around $35, most of it on USA-made tools that I have been collecting for years. The pics below show the few military items that were there at the show, I bought everything military I could see and there wasn't much.

- pile of 7 Navy manuals on mostly teletype equipment, $10 for the lot
- WWII-era control unit BC-1303, part of the test setup for the SCR-522 radio. Paint isn't great but it's all there and original, $5.
- CX-1070A/U cable, not much online about this one, has a U-77 connector on one end, a funky 8-pin plug on the other. Only info I found about is says it is part of radio sets AN/VRC-13 thru -15, an armor setup and this cable is an audio extender, part of a chest microphone rig. Any help? Worth saving for $1.

Last one of the year! Maybe next year when things get a little more, ahem, funded around here, I'll start picking up some actual radios instead of just ancillary stuff, for your drooling pleasure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whiterabbit

I'm looking for shows near Sav. Ga. and found a hamfest in Charleston SC. early next month. Might just go to take a look, old tube boat anchors have peaked my interest lately. Maybe there will be some OD green stuff there too.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile since I updated this thread - been going to hamfests but I've been saving up as much as I can for a CUCV so I haven't been buying much at all.

Did save this item at the Manassas VA hamfest this past weekend. Set of crystals for the BC-659 WWII jeep radio set, this lot included two metal BX-40 cases, and 99 crystals (figures 1 crystal had to be missing to **** up a nice round number), and a ceramic doodad of some purpose (not sure but it's new and looks crystal-related). Total investment was $5. I've paid $5 for 5 crystals before so this lot was a steal!

Proves once again the deals in military radio gear and accessories are out there if you just look....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a big fest yesterday in Richmond VA, called the Frostfest due to the time of year. Some military commo gear there, here's what I saved:

- stack of manuals related to the TGC-14 series of teletypewriters, only $1 so it goes in the library just in case. :roll:
- Navy sound-powered handset in nice shape, no nomenclature, $5
- PL-354 phono plug, little red jobbie, 25 cents
- WWII LS-7 loudspeaker used with various Signal Corps radios, a pricey $30 and it has a frayed cable right near the box, but I know someone who needs one badly ,so I'll fix it and pass it on
- junction box of some sort, new condition, looks like it is a jumper box for a CX-4720 type cable, $5 - can anyone ID it for certain?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some more mil gear that was at the show - thankfully this time I carried my cellphone with me!

pic 1: a rare, Collins-designed but made by Transworld/Datron PRC-1088, similar is function to the PRC-77 with 25 kHz spacing, 30-88 MHz, LCD display. A PRC unit that never really caught on and few were made. $650 got you the backpack radio and a bunch of accessories

pic 2 & 3: 1950s-era Gonset Communicators, I detailed these in another thread - capable of 6 meter or 2 meter operation and used mostly by CAP and Civil Defense units in the early Cold War. 6 of them for sale at the show, ranging from $30 to $60 each.

pic 4: R-542/FRR receiver, basically a Hammarlund SP-600 JX-14 with military nomenclature. Capable of receiving 540 kHz to 54 MHz, only the early ones were called R-542/FRR, later redesignated the R-274C/FRR. Regardless of what it's called, the SP-600 is an outstanding HF receiver, though this seller was a bit on the high side at $375 obo for a fair-good condition rig.

pic 5: the Cadillac of military radio receivers, the venerable R-390A/URR. Designed by Collins, it was the best in its day and many hams swear it is still the finest RX rig today. Used from the early 1950s through the 1990s, even newer radios couldn't beat its ability to pull signals out of the air. Note the MARS sticker on the front, a former owner must've been a MARS volunteer. This unit was made by Electronic Assistance Corporation, one of the later contracts. $400 is a good deal for this unit!

pic 6: military test set in the back of some sort for $300, I forgot what it was for. Foreground shows a Hughes-manufactured PRC-74 backpack radio, not the most common rig out there but well made. Capable of 2-12 MHz for the early units, the later "A" variant was 2-18 MHz. $200 was very good if it worked...

pic 7: I was very lucky to see this on the table, I have only seen one other with my eyes in my life, a Transworld/Datron AN/PRC-1099. All digital updated variant of the PRC-77, capable of 1.6 to 30 MHz, so it covers the HF bands while the -77 covers the VHF. Handles USB and LSB, 100 Hz spacing, and it's VERY pricey. I've seen them online for $2K to $3K. This one didn't have a price on it, and like the saying goes, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". To the right in the pic is a unmodded ARC-5 receiver, a bit closer to my price range at $50, but by the time I came back around it was sold.

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike, thanks for sharing! I had an SP-600 for a while and it was, indeed, a nice receiver. The R-390A probably out performed it but the dial tuning on the SP-600 was SO smooth.

I am also a fan of the PRC-74 transceivers and would probably have snatched that one up LOL.

Bob WB4ETT

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe this isn't the place for it, but has anyone ever modified a VRC antenna to work ham bands instead of the 30mhz and up they setup for? I've got a spare one here I thought about modifying and installing on the HMMWV or CUCV.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theoretically it could work if the BNC connector was directly connected to the bottem of the whip (no tuner, etc) and you cut it down to the correct length.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Theoretically it could work if the BNC connector was directly connected to the bottem of the whip (no tuner, etc) and you cut it down to the correct length.
I would be using a tuner inline most likely. Not sure how you'd cut down the fiberglass antenna, nor would I want to....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More mil gear! These are from over a month ago, I went to two hamfests in one weekend in early March, one in Frederick MD the other in Annandale VA. These are the military rigs I saw there, and the little I went home with.

pic 1: EE-8 field phone - they were early phones that used a hand-crank generator on the side just like the later TA-43s and TA-312s that were used during the Cold War. They came in either leather carrying cases like this one, or rubberized canvas. $50 was alright for this one if it worked.

pic 2: WWII BC-348 aircraft receiver, this one was the "P" variant (they went up to "R", they almost had a new version every couple months of the war, it seemed!) RX from 1.5 to 18 MHz in 6 bands. There were over 100,000 of these made in the Second World War, so this is one of the most common military radios that you might encounter at hamfests. The seller had completely restored and recapped the insides of this radio, and I think it was a good buy at $250 with the work that went into it. Plug and play, ready to use!

pic 3: Harris RF-301 tranceiver, a very well made rig, used in the Vietnam War especially by swift boat units in the Navy. Reminds me a lot of the GRC-106 and R-1051 receivers, in that it's not a band cruiser, you will get carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking the frequency knobs around all day. Best if you know which freqs. you want to operate on and keep the knobs there, if you want a band cruiser you need a different radio. This one almost came home with me, but the seller wouldn't budge on the $200 price, even a little bit. The day was getting long and I was kinda non-plussed by his lack of flexibility so I got to come home with my money, and he got to lug his radio back home. :)

pic 4: TV-7/U tube test set, complete in the case with the plug and manuals, etc. $490 seems high, but the condition is beautiful and well-made tube testers are worth it nowadays.

pic 5: Hallicrafters SX-28 Super Skyrider - built from about 1940 until a little after the war, this is a classic radio, covering .55 MHz to 43 MHz in 6 bands. The styling just oozes art-deco. Ham radio guys love this radio. It was used by both the Army and Navy during the war. Can't remember the price the seller was asking for it, sorry.

pic 6: Another Hallicrafters, this one a S-36 UHF receiver (back then, what we call Very High Frequency or VHF today was called Ultra High Frequency or UHF), covering 27.8 to 143 MHz in three bands. For the amateur radio guy, that seems like a lot of coverage area for only a couple band selections, and you're right, but back then the signals had FAT bandwidth compared to the modern radios we are used to. This rig was a good pairing with the SX-28 in the previous pic. Once again, can't remember the price, sorry.

pic 7-8: The few military items I came home with. Yes, if you are happening to wonder if what I am coming home with from hamfests over the last couple years is getting LESS voluminous, you're right, but I'm saving up for a couple specific things I haven't found just yet. But, still managed to find some mil manuals and some phono plugs for telegraph and phone installations, and a DA-35/U 1000-ohm dummy load which will come in handy. All for about $15.

pic 9: It's always interesting the stuff you find by accident. This was tucked into one of the manuals I bought, not sure of the vintage (probably 1970s to 1980s) but it gives the hourly schedule of the 30-week long Class "B" Radioman's Course given at NTC Bainbridge, MD. A long course, but there's a lot of stuff to cover too.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks