• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw a five ton towing a 2.5 ton in alabama yesterday...

HILLBILLY 06

SORRY, didn't get no pics, so just to get that out of the way...
Me and one of my bud's were coming back from the Range today (pre-season sighting check) and just as we turned onto HWY 9 North from HWY 78 WEST (Alabama), I quickly saw up ahead of us, a strange sight.... 3 color camo, wiggling around kind a funny like. I looked at Johnny and said "dude", that looks like a Very Large Military vehicle pulling something that's all over the place behind it...."something big and almost as tall.
So we tried getting Closer, and essentially had to floor it to catch him. As we got closer, I looked as good and hard as I could, and I told Johnny, Hey that's a 5 ton, plum pulling a 2 1/2 ton right behind it!! Then I said "that aint no army guy's in a convoy" He's towing that 2 1/2 ton at 70 mph...
"Your **** speedometer must be broken dude" He said he never noticed it broken before, and he also never drove that fast before, ever! so he was sure it wasn't broken. The guy dragging that other big truck had to be struggling at least some, Because the 2 1/2 ton was all over the road behind that 5 ton, it was as hilarious as anything I ever seen.... The guy finally slowed down to 60 mph, so we passed him to get a better look before we had to turn off way up the road...
I got a good look, but we were at 70 mph trying to get around him, LOL, what a rush though... Man it was bad to the bone to see two 3 color camo trucks hook'd up like that hauling the nail like he was trying to get to the moon before dark...LOL I did not know they could go that fast even "empty" let alone pulling another complete Deuce right flat on the ground behind it. He must have been delivering the truck from Georgia maybe? but he was heading north on HWY 9 last time we seen him, and man he was moving on down the road like there was no tomorrow. :-D:-D:-D

Last edited:

HILLBILLY 06

:jumpin:I know your gonna say that there aint no way that truck could go that fast, but it may have been a downhill slope at that time. When he slowed down to 60 mph, we were able to pass him. "HEY" if the guy that was driving that 5 Ton see's this post, maybe he can tell you... "Yeah he really had his foot in it" I just wish he was delivering that deuce to me, he could have beat me home with it yesterday. I am the guy that passed you in the little dark red Nissan truck that waved and gave a thumbs up. I think it was awesome! We pulled over passed the blinking light and waited for you to pass, just so we could see it again and wave again.... "just awesome"
But man that one being towed looked like it was giving the driver a hard time, it was so Hilarious to see that thing all over the road like that we couldn't help but laugh out loud man, but it way cool at the same time...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

If you turn the fuel up a little they will run that fast pretty easy. I bobbed a 5-ton and pulled a CUCV to NY with it from NC, was passing semi trucks all day long without issue, uphill, downhill, whatever. I had turned the fuel screw out 2 turns (which is not that much), couldn't even tell the CUCV was behind it. I ran 60+ except on a couple of the larger hills which might have dropped it down to about 50-55.

Would I attempt that towing a deuce that sounds like it was all over the road? Heck no...

HILLBILLY 06

Glad to hear someone chime in, I posted this on another forum too, I don't think they believed me at all, that it was going that fast. But man I was there and seen it with my own eye's... I just hope he is a member here, so he can tell about his trip and how he managed to push it that hard. Is it modified as you said, something simple & easy, or did he or someone else do something expensive to it for that kind of incredible power under such a load.... If I hadn't seen it and been there myself, I probably wouldn't believe either...LOL.

dmetalmiki

????? Laugh I would NOT have..I would have been to concerned for (any) other road users young and old (or en mass) just about to be taken out by an uncomprehending and dangerouse F*****//****T!!..SO GLAD ( and relieved ) for the population at large, that he made it thus far without incident.

rickf

For those that say they can get 70 mph easily, what is your rpm at that speed? Do you have a steady supply of extra motors? And how well would you be able to stop that combo in an emergency?

For those that say they can get 70 mph easily, what is your rpm at that speed? Do you have a steady supply of extra motors? And how well would you be able to stop that combo in an emergency?
I dare say stopping is not the biggest issue, stopping one of these trucks running 65-70 would be comparable to stopping a semi truck (if not better), so are you saying semi's should not run 70+ mph? I see them doing it all the time...

I am 5-ton poor right now (I have 4 and 1 on the way), so motors are not a problem for now.

It's not often I drive a 5-ton for ~15 hours in a day, but when I do, I'll promise the pedal will be floored the whole time!

AMGeneral

Well,as far as 5 tons being able to manage 70 mph plus,yes,it is possible.

I had a M52A2 tractor(multifuel) that had the direct 5 th gear trans swapped for a 5 th gear OD trans,it would manage 73 mph at 2700 rpms.

Would I recommend this?

ABSOUTELY NOT!!!!!

Talk about a scary ride.

HILLBILLY 06

Wow, great replies, I didn't think of the dangers at the time that I saw it, I really didn't because we could not believe what we were seeing I guess. Plus that 2.5 ton was all over the road behind him, he had to be struggling to keep it on the road. It looked a few times like it was either gonna come off or yank him into the south bound lane. That's all I was worried about at the time I think, was it pulling him into on coming traffic trying to fight it. One would think if he slowed down, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't why he was driving that fast as bad as the other truck was waggling all over the place like that....

Yea I guess I will also mention when I talk about running 65mph in a 5-ton, I am talking about a 939 series. I felt like getting to 60mph in my deuce was pushing it, and not something I really want to do again (why I sold it).

The brakes in a 939 series will stop that truck about as quick as any truck on the road of similar size, my M925 won't get to about 63 downhill, but the bobbed truck would hit 65-70 (guess) easily.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm the guilty party. It was not a deuce I was pulling with the M927. Me and my buddy went to Hotlanta to pick up my new M923. The M927 made it look small I guess. I don't remember it wiggling around much. It pulled so good I just about forgot it was back there. I don't think I was going that fast unless the speedo is way off. It pulled way down on the hills but on level ground I tried to hold 55 on the two lane to keep from blocking traffic. I will say the fuel milage sucked coming back so I may have been standing on it some.

As in the case with many GL buys the truck looked a lot better in pics than in person. Since I didn't preview it I cast no blame on anyone but I have to say that the ham handed idiot that unloaded the truck could have done better. He managed to rip both brake cans off the rear axle and put a bad ding in the rim (it actual pushed a sliver of steel into the sidewall of the tire). All of the fluids were drained and there were no batteries. I put a set in today and she turned over but the fuel system will have to be primed to get it to start. I ran out of daylight today. Options include replacing the rear axle or a bob job.

Attachments

HILLBILLY 06

LOL, yeah that's the ones I saw...
Yes, the truck behind you was all over the road, that's how we figured out that you were pulling another really large vehicle behind you, as it was weaving we could see two sets of mirrors and a bunch of tires on the ground. And YES, you was definitely running 70 mph at one time, and we couldn't believe it. But I had noticed that you did slow down and maintain 60 mph all the way to that BP station about 2 miles south of the blinking light on Highway 9. That's about where we went around you, and it made us a little nervous with the one behind you as it was waggling back and forth like that. But once we got even with the front truck it was smooth sailing. I have to say I have never seen two hooked up like that anywhere before...nor making that kind of headway down the road. "Glad you made it home with em"

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It always looks worse to the people in the back of the towed truck. And 70 mph in a m927 towing a m923 makes that m927 the worlds fastest m927.

Last edited:

HILLBILLY 06

Also, the front truck looked way taller too, the canvas top had the wind in it looked about 3 feet taller or more, than the top bows on the rear truck, that's why we thought it was a 5 ton pulling a deuce. It made the other truck look a lot smaller behind it. At first, we thought for a couple of miles you were pulling some "ginormous trailer" or something, but once I saw that other set of mirrors and all those tires on the ground, I couldn't believe what I was seeing and the speed was just unbelievable for the load you were pulling. "do you have different size tire's" on the 927 that would change your speedometer reading or give it more top end, or any mods to the fuel or governors?

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It always looks worse to the people in the back of the towed truck. And 70 mph in a m927 towing a m923 makes that m927 the worlds fastest m927.

HILLBILLY 06

Well, there were some downhill grades on that stretch of highway, and he was going that fast, no kidding... That's the biggest reason I posted , was because of how fast he was going.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought maybe hillbilly speedometer is off as well as weckermans so who knows what the actual speed was

HILLBILLY 06

Just a thought maybe hillbilly speedometer is off as well as weckermans so who knows what the actual speed was
"I won't deny that anything was possible" during this event. I only know what I saw, but I won't deny that it is possible that "Both speedometers" could possibly be wrong.... But I did ask if he has done any mod's to it, such as the ones that I was reading about here on the SS site, that would change the speed, or the speedometer reading. He did say say he was unaware that the towed vehicle was all over the road. But I really thought it was going to pull him into the southbound lane a couple of times while he was at the 70 mph. Even when he slowed down and stayed at 60 mph for several miles, the towed vehicle reminded me of that song "Just a swangin" because it was definitely all over the road behind him just about the whole time we were behind him.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hillbilly I believe what your saying. I have met wrekerman and he don't seem to be the reckless kind of guy.Just a thought next time any of us see what we think is a problem we should try to get driver to stop. If weckerman had a problem and was unaware and something had finally broke it could have been really bad. Just my opinion.