• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw a five ton towing a 2.5 ton in alabama yesterday...

HILLBILLY 06

Hillbilly I believe what your saying. I have met wrekerman and he don't seem to be the reckless kind of guy.Just a thought next time any of us see what we think is a problem we should try to get driver to stop. If weckerman had a problem and was unaware and something had finally broke it could have been really bad. Just my opinion.
Well, nobody was even on the road much at all except for us and him, maybe an occasional south-bounder, but he had clear sailing the whole time we were back there, I didn't mean for it to sound like he was weaving all in and out of traffic and blowing people off the road or anything, it wasn't like that at all. I kind of doubt (Since we were coming back from the range) with rifle bags all piled up in the front seat, that he would have pulled over for us anyway, being able to see down on us. I would loved to have told him the towed vehicle was having a hard time back there. He must know now, or will after continuing to read the post.
But don't take what I said the wrong way, I don't want it to seem like he was "just being careless or reckless" there just wasn't anyone on the road then. I just think he was (for a lack of better words)... "Making good time" on a long trip.

Csm Davis

Okay hillbilly they do tend to walk around some back there as long as it isn't jerking bad it's probably okay but 70 towing? Come on not my buddy he wouldn't put Elmo in harms way like that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have moved a lot of military equipment in my life and have never had an accident. I once flat towed a deuce with a deuce from Little Rock, AR, back to Alabama.

For this mission we had the correct size towbar, safety chains, tow lights and air lines to the towed truck. I drove a commerical vehicle for many years and know those roads like the back of my hand.

The M927 has not had any fuel turned to it as far as I know (the tach shows it topping out at 2100 rpm). It came from the FL National Guard and one of our members was the assigned driver on it. He actually called me and asked about the truck while we were in Atlanta hooking the M923 up.
My buddy that was with me had the fuel turned to his M923A2 and he said it made a world of difference on hills.
I may take mine up to the diesel doctor and have it warmed up.

HILLBILLY 06

I have moved a lot of military equipment in my life and have never had an accident. I once flat towed a deuce with a deuce from Little Rock, AR, back to Alabama.

For this mission we had the correct size towbar, safety chains, tow lights and air lines to the towed truck. I drove a commerical vehicle for many years and know those roads like the back of my hand.

The M927 has not had any fuel turned to it as far as I know (the tach shows it topping out at 2100 rpm). It came from the FL National Guard and one of our members was the assigned driver on it. He actually called me and asked about the truck while we were in Atlanta hooking the M923 up.
My buddy that was with me had the fuel turned to his M923A2 and he said it made a world of difference on hills.
I may take mine up to the diesel doctor and have it warmed up.
As near as I could see, you don't need to turn the fuel up on that one yet, unless it needs do do a better job getting from point A to point B than it seemed to do yesterday. About half the folks here are still split 50/50 that it would go that fast, (70 mph) but I seen it do that at least once, and seen it maintain 60/65 for several miles without a hiccup. We went around you somewhere around the area of that BP station on #9 just south of the blinking light. I thought it was awesome, except that the towed vehicle didn't seem to happy about being back there. It had a constant wiggle and swayed back and forth a lot the whole time we were behind you. As I stated earlier, it's entirely possible that "both speedometers" were wrong. So I guess it could be a shot in the dark as to how fast or how slow any of us were really going. But I still think in any case "it was awesome" to see you pulling it, and even more awesome when I found out you were pulling an M923, not a Deuce.

o1951

Easiest and cheapest way to check spedo accuracy is to compare it with GPS indicated speed.
My civi vehicles are spot on to 60 MPH, then they start reading high - on my truck - a bit high at 65, 2 MPH at 70, 3 at 75, 4 or 5 at a brief 80.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The main reason to turn the fuel to it is not for more top end it is to get it to pull better on hills. That is were most MV's fall flat on their face. I'm going to do the air filter mod that someone posted a while back (putting smaller diameter filter in it) and (if I keep it) have the fuel turned up.
The issue with more fuel is that in a hard pull it can build heat. That's why it's necessary to install a pryrometer so you can watch it.
The truck runs great until a hill.....then it becomes a "dragonfly". Dragging up the hills and flying down them.
Anybody want to buy a fast truck?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well I've been working on the newest object of my affliction to whit the M923A2 that is the subject of this thread.
The worst issue is the brake chambers being ripped off the rear axle. I talked to a fellow member that has a M931 he's parting out and I'm going to swap out the axle rather than trying to repair the old one. He's making me a good deal on one.
I got all the fluids topped off and primed the fuel system. Put in two batteries and she fired right up. No knocking, clanking, rattling or smoke. Put the transmission gear and moved the truck back and forth. So far so good. I can't drive it since the brakes are still caged and the brake chambers are hanging on by a couple of hoses. I think I got a good truck for a decent price and time will tell as to its' fate. I may do some cosmetic work on it and flip it or make a dump out of it to keep and sell the M927. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow and post.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well I've been working on the newest object of my affliction to whit the M923A2 that is the subject of this thread.
The worst issue is the brake chambers being ripped off the rear axle. I talked to a fellow member that has a M931 he's parting out and I'm going to swap out the axle rather than trying to repair the old one. He's making me a good deal on it.
I got all the fluids topped off and primed the fuel system. Put in two batteries and she fired right up. No knocking, clanking, rattling or smoke. Put the transmission gear and moved the truck back and forth. So far so good. I can't drive it since the brakes are still caged and the brake chambers are hanging on by a couple of hoses. I think I got a good truck for a decent price and time will tell as to its' fate. I may do some cosmetic work on it and flip it or make a dump out of it to keep and sell the M927. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow and post.