• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Say TTFN to the M60!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, The Museum didn't get the rental for the M60. It was all the way across the country in NY. Transportation killed it, something like $25.000 to transport there and back with permits. Sucks, the Museum could use the money :sad:.
Anywho, Craig donated the use of it to the Moving Viet Nam Wall. It is on it's way to Arizona for 10 days. It will stay on the transport for insurance purposes. IIRC, the transport was donated also. If anyone is in the Kingman, Topoc, Havasu area for the next week or so, stop by and pay a visit to the wall.

Shameless plug...if anyone can or would like to donate to the Museum, please PM me. We are a Ca. non profit and can furnish a tax deductible receipt for your donation.

The pics are of this tank.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=centHod83r0&feature=channel[/media]

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a couple Steel Soldiers here with tractors and commercial tags. Perhaps they can move for less than $25K?

Note on the Vietnam moving wall and the M60 series tanks: While the M60 tank was in service at the time of Vietnam, it never served there. All the heavy tanks in Nam were M48 series. There was another war also being fought at the time: the Cold War. The M60 was newer, and thus was at the forefront of the Cold War, serving in Germany in case of a Soviet invasion.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a couple Steel Soldiers here with tractors and commercial tags. Perhaps they can move for less than $25K?

Note on the Vietnam moving wall and the M60 series tanks: While the M60 tank was in service at the time of Vietnam, it never served there. All the heavy tanks in Nam were M48 series. There was another war also being fought at the time: the Cold War. The M60 was newer, and thus was at the forefront of the Cold War, serving in Germany in case of a Soviet invasion.
The movie co already got a bulldog from NY. I knew that about the choice of armor...that's what was asked for, so Craig provided. The thing sure looks small on the trailer!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Shameless plug...if anyone can or would like to donate to the Museum, please PM me. We are a Ca. non profit and can furnish a tax deductible receipt for your donation.QUOTE]

I sent a PM but wanna say here for all to see that there is no such thing as a "shameless plug" when honorable men and women stand to be counted.

I was always Infantry...mostly Light...so...no likey tanks etc....but: I respect the men who man them and what they can do...and have done.

As for the moving wall...I have seen it, and witnessed the awe it inspires...and the wounds it seems to heal.

I say GOD BLESS you brother for what you do and I will help any way I can.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer and truck are "donations" also. Barnett is kindly furnishing all the trans and the complete rig will stay with the tank for the duration. It is the trailer they haul M1's around on. The trailer is 12 ft wide...at the limit, no side extentions. Transport also includes lead and follow vehicles. These guys were not part of the bid as far as I know, that was all done by the studio.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure about 10k total for rail transport across country.
The problems are:
-a chance of vandalism when it is sitting in yards, unless you can find an enclosed car to load it in or work out with the railroads to make sure it gets parked where the yard tower or office is so they can kind of watch it.
-you have to get it to a track with a ramp to load it on a car then find a ramp at the other end to unload it and you still would have to truck it some to where you wanted it.

dittle

You can haul an M60 on a 3-axle RGN legally (with permits of course). We've been requested to bring an A3 down for a parade next year and that's what my dad (commercial driver) is planning on using to haul with.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are around 50 tons as it sits not in battle ready condition. There are 3 M551's at the Museum, only 1 runs....that is gonna be one of the near future resurrections :D

They are around 50 tons as it sits not in battle ready condition. There are 3 M551's at the Museum, only 1 runs....that is gonna be one of the near future resurrections :D
Thanks WillWagner! Wasn't the Sheridan developed for airborne forces? I also remember them as capable of firing tow missles or conventional rounds. Weren't they used in Viet Nam? I also believe they had aluminum armor. Are there any pictures of them on this site? I probably should make a search. in the forum on Armored Vehicles.

pvtjorge

Check these Tanks in this video. I was in the operation. Can you tell what Model they are? I always thought that they were M60's

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zwNT2P25J4[/media]

Last edited:

duncan

You can haul an M60 on a 3-axle RGN legally (with permits of course). We've been requested to bring an A3 down for a parade next year and that's what my dad (commercial driver) is planning on using to haul with.
We're not allowed to load more than 10 metric tonnes per axle (or 11.5 for a driven axle) here. No matter the number of tires you put on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks