• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SC M1008 Turbo Install

Southern Off Road

Hey this is my M1008 i have installed an 6.5 turbo kit and it turned out pretty good. I bought a used kit from a guy that had bad crank bearings and only had 80,000miles, he was putting in a small block in his truck so got it for a decent price. I built my own custom cross over exhaust and bought a turbo exhaust flange and made a 3" exhaust and rapped with DEI heat wrap. I put in a pyrometer,oil temp,boost guage. I am not driving the truck right now so i have a small filter on it so nothing gets in the turbo but i am gonna order a S&B inclosed cold air box made for the 6.5.

Starting on Body and Paint
8" front leaf spring w/ 1" shackle
DIY4x Shackle Flip 4" w/4.5" shackle kit & 4" rear spring
U-bolt flip kit
Custom drive shafts
New greasable spring bolts and bushings front and rear
Pro Comp remote reseviors
38x15.50x16.5 SSR Radials
16.5x12 Mickey Thompson Classics

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That air filter you have will work just fine. I have one on my 95 youkon with a 6.5. You might consider a mechanical boost controller. That vacume one isn't going to allow full boost with out computer control. I put on on mine and set it for 14 PSI. Works great.

acesneights1

can you post pics of how you got the downpipe off the turbo through the frame please. Also did the turbo interfere with the back battery ? I am getting ready to do this myself. I would have recommended doing the HG's first with ARP studs. The crap Printoseals the 6.2 came with don't hold up long with Boost. Also how did you solve the issue of the ex manifold hitting the injs ? Did you use shortys form a 6.5 ?

Southern Off Road

can you post pics of how you got the downpipe off the turbo through the frame please. Also did the turbo interfere with the back battery ? I am getting ready to do this myself. I would have recommended doing the HG's first with ARP studs. The crap Printoseals the 6.2 came with don't hold up long with Boost. Also how did you solve the issue of the ex manifold hitting the injs ? Did you use shortys form a 6.5 ?
i am sorry i dont have any pics right now i dont get off till dark and its been raining i will try and have pics up tomorrow. And i couldnt get the downpipe inbetween the body and the frame it was hitting and wouldnt give the motor room for torque, i had to cut the inner fender and tuck it under the body the best i could with a bunch off 22 degrees cuts and had to run it on the outside of the frame and yes the turbo interfered with the back battery tray so i bought two new batteries and made a piece of metal for the front tray to hold both of them but the ones i bought are about the size of an optima. yeah i put new head gaskets,arp studs,intake gasket,plenium gasket and replaced anything that looked like it needed it. And the big question about the injectors, i did a bunch of research on putting the turbo on and every thread i ran into said that u would have to change the injectors out and put the 6.5 cause they are a little bit shorter, but on other hand i read a couple of threads and people said they had no problems clearing them, well i lucked up and i have about 1/4 of room around all my injector lines from the manifold. the big proplem i had putting the exhaust manifold on was trying to put the bolts in it cause they hit the frame and i didnt pull the motor( not fun), u have to put the bolts in the manifold first then slide it down inbetween the frame. everthing else went good. i built my own crossover pipe and rapped it in dei heat rap cause its real close too the tranny pan. hope everything goes well on your turbo project, if u have any question just let me know i can try and help walk u through it will post pics tommorow

Southern Off Road

Looking good , I have a 8" lift on mine also. Cant wait to get that motor started to see how it runs. I will be putting on some larger tires in the future.
Are you running the exhaust on the outside the frame ?
thanks, your comin along it takes time thats why they are called projects. They sound pretty mean they build boost really quick it makes a world of difference. yeah i could not find any other way to run the exhaust on the inside it hits everywhere, it dont look the best on the outside but it dont look bad. yeah i am ready to get my 38s on it driving me crazy but i wanna finish my body before i start my suspension.

acesneights1

Excellent....Hmmmm no Inj clearance issues huh ?? Do you know if your heads are original ? The later model 6.2 heads had the same angle as a 6.5. Guess I'm gonna find out real soon....:)
I thought so with the exhaust. A bodylift would solve that but I hate them and the pushbar/brille guard would look stupid with one. I think I'll run outside too. Any issue with the tires hitting the ex ? I have a 4 inch lift and 35's.
As far as Batteries, I found a nice clean pass side batt tray from a civvy so I may go that route and change to Civvy batts as well. Those Group 31's will look nice in my camper...

Southern Off Road

Excellent....Hmmmm no Inj clearance issues huh ?? Do you know if your heads are original ? The later model 6.2 heads had the same angle as a 6.5. Guess I'm gonna find out real soon....:)
I thought so with the exhaust. A bodylift would solve that but I hate them and the pushbar/brille guard would look stupid with one. I think I'll run outside too. Any issue with the tires hitting the ex ? I have a 4 inch lift and 35's.
As far as Batteries, I found a nice clean pass side batt tray from a civvy so I may go that route and change to Civvy batts as well. Those Group 31's will look nice in my camper...
I am not real sure how to tell on the heads if the are new or older model heads. I wanted to put a body lift ,but there is no way to move the tow hooks on the bumpers up 3" and i didnt wanna de-militarized it takin them off. Yeah i believe it is your only choose to run on the outside of the frame unless u can find a way. I have no problems with the tires rubbing at all, the front battery worked fine if you turn the batteries side ways. Hope these pics help u out, ask for specific pics if u need them. I will have more time to take better pics tommorow.

Attachments

Well add me to the list of doing this add on too... I would like to see more pics though... I have a M1009 that i have swapped axles with a M1008 4"ord shacke kit, rear truck Springs in Front, changed NP208 with a NP203/205 doubler I had to widen the tunnel in floor to accept the Shifter and linkage for Doubler. Already running recentered H1 wheels with the new BFG baja TA's....Im collecting parts now to install turbo. have everything except oil feed fittings and crossover pipe Im still thinking of just cutting on firewall and floor tunnel and make it taller to run exhaust on inside, just wondering now, how much id have to cut and also how well that heat tape can protect trans.. and also, how did you set wastegate and boost? and where did you install oil temp sensor?

Southern Off Road

Well add me to the list of doing this add on too... I would like to see more pics though... I have a M1009 that i have swapped axles with a M1008 4"ord shacke kit, rear truck Springs in Front, changed NP208 with a NP203/205 doubler I had to widen the tunnel in floor to accept the Shifter and linkage for Doubler. Already running recentered H1 wheels with the new BFG baja TA's....Im collecting parts now to install turbo. have everything except oil feed fittings and crossover pipe Im still thinking of just cutting on firewall and floor tunnel and make it taller to run exhaust on inside, just wondering now, how much id have to cut and also how well that heat tape can protect trans.. and also, how did you set wastegate and boost? and where did you install oil temp sensor?
sounds awesome my dads wants to do the same swamp with the 1 tons and k5. i order my down pipe flang and crossover pipe from flowmaster for a 6.5 and i chopped it up and cut 22 degrees cuts and twisted and made my turns correct and lenghted it where it need it and wided it too it was off terrible. yeah it would look alot better on the inside but it really dont look bad if u tuck it close to the frame and paint it. i wouldnt cut the floor because u take away the orignal m1009 and if u tried to sell it, it could effect u, not saying u wouldnt do a awesome job but its your truck u do what u want to it. heat wrap works wonders it, i have my hole exhaust from the turbo flange to about 1 foot from the tip and it contains the heat very well (it helps the crossover on the tranny alot).i put an oil pressure,and temp guage in and did put the sensors back. and the wastegate i have no clue i am looking for a thread now for that i just cruise and dont let it build up over about 7. sorry i will let u know as soon as i find out how it works