• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School Bus?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm often amazed at the ingenuity of folks and their old school busses. I've seen them as campers, car/truck/tractor haulers, hay haulers, storage sheds, snake busses and countless other conversions. Busses seem to fall into the hands of the guys with Champaign taste on a beer budget so he thinks his school bus rivals the Prevost coach. Well today while entering the port where I work I saw one of these busses trying to get into the port. Only got a glimpse of it but something made me curious. As I left the office headed for my post I saw the bus parked waiting to get into a container yard. Pardon the crappy pics but had to shoot from the car and run and this old camera doesn't zoom very far. I've made fun of enough busses, now I'm impressed! Take a looksee.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread gives me a excuse to blather on about my bus...

I bought my school bus for 500.00. Had no reason to have one, but it was just out of service, and cheap. Knew the guy at the bus garage, and he cut me a good deal. Lots of mods have been suggested, right now it hauls my friend's band all over the state.

1986 Ward, international 1800 chassie. 9.0 liter diesel(550 ci!), mere 180 hp, unknown torque, 2800 redline. Spicer 5 speed, air brakes. 9.00x20 rears(sound familiar?) and 22.5 r10's in the front. New tires on the front, about 40 percent on the back. Rusty. Weighs 16,500 empty, with a GVW of 26,500. 220,000 miles, 10 mpg.

Orginally came with 5.38 gears. This limited top speed to about 60mph. I went to the junkyard and found a 4.44 gearset and put it in. Not a hard job, just really heavy pieces to lift when on the ground. Checked top speed the other day when moving a friend. With a load, about 200-300 over redline, was doing 81mph! I get some looks when I pass people... I cruise at 65-70 mph. Has decent amount of power once warmed up. Most of the hills here in ohio don't slow me down, with or without a load.

Had to fix a few things, clutch linkage, power steering leak, heater, altenator, but overall a good running truck. Been known to put 300 miles a day on it driving the band around. Very easy to drive, and the air brakes work good. Titled as a motorhome, cheap insurance and tags. Had to add a bed, table, stove and icebox to make it legal. Now anyone can drive it, even with airbrakes.

Pics are before any modifications.

Okay I think that is everything....LOL
Dennis

P.S That is one very cool bus...would love to have one with the 466 international motor... Most around here have a 5.9 L

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch, forget them 4.44 gears and go with 6.44 gears. Thats right folks, 5 ton axles. Get them from a 900 and you get the air brakes. Pillage a transfer case and you've got one heck of a hauler. BTW, that toter above has the FL70 chassis. Love them freightshakers!

Elwenil

We have one for sale here at the dealership exactly like Stretch's bus. I thinkit's a Blue Bird body, but same International chassis, engine and all. I had thought of stealing the engine out of it until I saw it was an International non-turbo deal.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay recovery, you lost me on why 6.44 5 ton's. There was talk of shoving some deuce axles under the bus, not something I want to do! As for my ugly bus, it loves the gearing in it now.

The bus engine is a good running engine, but impractical for swapping in anything. Pretty large, non-turbo, and I think non-replaceable cylinder liners. Figure on selling the bus soon.
Dennis

Last edited:
Busses are cool. 8)
I love the "Cool Bus" moniker on it.

I have one more pic somewhere of the tiny little special education busses (49 ford) that is total pro street, not stretched, as well - I'll find it.

Recovry4x4 said:
Oh, I was just thinking 4 wheel drive, I always think in all wheel drive mode!
Ya got your wish Kenny. Monster bus is from a show at Pomona Fairgrounds here in So Cal.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks