• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School me...

Mistaare

ME registration is always an alternative with trailers.
I was looking into Maine Registration and it seems that they are mainly commercial trailers or I need to send a copy of the title.

Am I missing something?

Do you guys have any other options?

The guy I bought the trailer from is no longer responding to texts or returning phone calls. So disappointed, I have never bought anything off a forum and had ANY kinds of problems. People on forums that I have come across are generally good people. I found the trailer on this forum and just wish he would either give me my money back or get me a title. Is there anyway I can obtain a title with just a bill of sale? Its been almost 2 months and I am getting frustrated. I would like to use my trailer! UGH!!! aua

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

harleyhouse

Give them a call and explain the situation.
National Trailer Registration
P.O. Box 8179
Bangor Me. 04402-8179
Tel- 1-877-886-4414
Fax- 1-888-855-7066
trailerhelp@mainelytitles.com

Mistaare

auaauaauaaua

aaaah, here is an update. The guy texted me last week and said "guess what came in the mail?" I ASSUMED it was the title. I told him I could come up on Sept 5 (tomorrow) since I have it off and we were set. Well, he called me tonight around 9.30 and said, he has the title, but he needs to get it registered in HIS name before he can get it titled and registered in MY name!!! Does this make sense to anyone? Wondering if anyone else has heard of this? He then said that he could do it electronically (and that it would take a week), and would mail me a notarized title in my name once he received it.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I don't understand why he cant just sign it over to me and I can register it in my name straight from him without having him register it in his name first?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

UNIMOG-GUY

The title would have the previous sellers info in the line for the "seller" and his info for in the line for the "buyer". Which would then mean he would have to get a new title so that his name could be on the seller line and then your name could be on the buyer line. Then when you take it to the DMV and get a title in your name your name would go on the seller line when and if you choose to sell the trailer and the prospective buyer would then put his name on the buyers line.

Another way to get a title is to see if PA has a abandoned property option thru the DMV. It basically states that "someone" left a vehicle/trailer on your property for longer than 48 hrs without your permission and you can get a title to sell it as scrap or title the vehicle in your name. I know several states have this option but you will have to see if PA does or doesn't. There is more to the process like a VIN search etc but find out if they have it first.

tobyS

His explanation makes sense, if, like unimog-guy explained, the prior owner put his name in the buyer place on the title. I sure wouldn't try to shortcut the process, as you may find there are sales taxes that need paid from his purchase before you can get it transferred to you and YOU have to pay sales tax twice.

Be patient. You made a mistake paying him the entire price without him having the title in hand so you are somewhat at his mercy. If he was a dealer, you would have some recourse after, i think 21 days, but not an individual.

So there is a very good chance that the owner before him put his name on it as the purchaser but he is/was reluctant to finish the process since he must pay sales tax for the transaction when HE purchased it, meaning money comes out of his pocket, that perhaps he thought he would avoid. That's just a guess.

With a vin check by police you may be able to get a title from the bill of sale. I would ask your local license branch but it would probably get more difficult if a prior owner comes up. So again, if you think he is truthfully going through the process and was simply caught off guard by his name being in the purchaser position (not left blank when he got it from the prior owner), you will need to wait.

I hardly think legal action is worth considering yet, but don't rule it out. If you have an attorney, for about $50 he may write a letter threatening action, but following through would be more costly and time consuming than it's worth. Good luck.

Mistaare

This is a reply I got from another forum-

"Since he bought it from GL he got an SF-97. That is the certificate to obtain the title. It is non-transferable, so it is of no use to you. He needs to use that to get the title, then transfer the title to you."

jedawson1

That is correct, at least in TN it is. Its considered tax evasion by the original buyer if he doesn't register it and pay his share. Here in TN we are not allowed to register if the previous owner didn't obtain a title in their name. Laws may be different for dealers, but I know for a fact this applies to non dealers in TN.

Local title in TN comes in the mail in less than a week from the day I pay at the DMV office. I would give the guy a chance and a few more days.

tobyS

Buying from GL does not automatically give one an SF-97. That costs around $60. Whether a bill of sale or an SF-97, it would be in his name and do you no good if he has not titled it. I've purchased 6 trucks from GL and titled each of them from the bill of sale in Indiana. Each has required a police vin check but not an SF-97.

I certainly agree with your other response that he must get the title and then transfer it to you. One good thing is that as an individual, he would have paid sales tax from the state it was purchased in, so that should not be much of an issue. You will have to pay sales tax for your purchase however.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A sf97 in his name is worthless to you. Go ahead and let him get a title in his name and then sign it over to you, this is the proper way to do it.

Mistaare

A sf97 in his name is worthless to you. Go ahead and let him get a title in his name and then sign it over to you, this is the proper way to do it.
Thats the game plan. I just didnt realize it would take as long as it taking. For a couple weeks I thought he might be leaving me 'high and dry' so I was searching alternative ways to get the trailer titled.

Mistaare

IT'S FINALLY LEGAL!!! Woo Hoo. I FINALLY got the title today, took it to AAA and left a license plate!!!

MarcusOReallyus

Great!

Now about that 9 pin plug....

Unless you plan to tow it with a military vehicle, why not just dump that stupid thing and install a standard 7 pin RV plug?

Remove the existing cable at the junction box (on the tongue rail) and wire this puppy in its place:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312018_200312018

7 pin cable.jpg

You can hardwire it in at the junction box or replace the existing connectors with shrouded spade connectors or bullet connectors.

http://www.delcity.net/store//Terminals/

Last edited:

Mistaare

Great!

Now about that 9 pin plug....

Unless you plan to tow it with a military vehicle, why not just dump that stupid thing and install a standard 7 pin RV plug?

Remove the existing cable at the junction box (on the tongue rail) and wire this puppy in its place:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312018_200312018

View attachment 458837

You can hardwire it in at the junction box or replace the existing connectors with shrouded spade connectors or bullet connectors.

http://www.delcity.net/store//Terminals/

thanks for the links. that is my next step, getting it converted to a 7 pin plug. had a load of fire wood in this weekend. it handled a lot better than i expected.

svanhorn

These are very good firewood trailers, which is the main reason I bought mine. 2 months ago I brought home a load of aspen, and my M101 pulled very well with it filled about a foot above the racks, and my f250 stacked as high as I could.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks