• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

schwitzer turbo problem

homesaver

howdy,howdy: new here ,great site. been looking for a couple of years for info& parts for my m52-A1 kaiser jeep with continental lds 465-1A when I got this truck it had a schwitzer 3lj-319 turbo which caught fire on the way home. Now I've got to tell ya this little story: the truck had been used as an explosives storage magazine by the previous owner. Of course the thing was plastered with dangerous cargo & explosives decals,but still in camo paint. so you can imagine the rapid response by cops,military,d.o.t.ect:ect: When the turbo failed (at night) it laid enough black smoke on the road to stop all traffic in both directions on a three lane highway.I drove on in blissfull ignorance, until the exaust stack turned into a flame thrower & started burning the paint off the 12' van body, You know, the one plastered with every explosives warning decal known to man. So i pulls over & shuts down the engine,the fire goes out,all is dark & quiet for a minute, then I hear the fire trucks,cops, emergency response team et all : They all stoped 300 yards from the truck & started yelling instructions over the loud hailer, to "move away from the vehicle" . to be continued... looks like I'm out of space here.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know I shouldn't be laughing but that's a great story.

rofl

homesaver

So I walked around to the back of the truck & opened the doors on the box to try & show these bozo's that all I had in there was a lift of steel beams & some hydraulic equipment . they apperantly misunderstood my intentions & started offering to shoot me if I didn't lay down on the ground immediatly. They sounded prety tense & verry serious, so I complied, & quickly found myself hand cuffed & stuffed into the back of an R.C.M.P. cruiser while they went abuot their business. After about 40 minutes they had satisfied themeselves that I wasn't a national security threat & started giving me the lectures about displaying explosives decals on flaming military trucks.No fines or criminal charges , but they towed my truck to the nearest military base so the pro's could give it one more thorough going over....

homesaver

I eventually got the truck back & towed it to a friends farm nearby where it still sits because of my confusion about which turbo it should have. I ordered one from the bandits at clark truck parts & they sent me what was supposed to be a (good used take off unit ) . Not only was the rotating assembly worn out but they sent me a different model,A model number G744-MF , it had a larger housing but bolted up fine. I had to move the truck so I ran it with with the new turbo. It was gutless & smoked like hell. Now I've been told that the 465 in the deuce used a different turbo than the one in the 5 tons. Any body know which one I should be running on this truck? & where I might find one in good shape for a decent price?

homesaver

Hey Jeff thanks for the response and if a "d" series is what I need then, yes definitely but first I'm hoping to hear from some real turbo heads that know these engines well enough to let me know what I needs.

Deuceswild

Homesaver,

You have 2 choices for turbochargers ( O.E. that is) for these engines,,
If your engine ID tag reads LDT-465-1C, that is what is commonly reffered to as the "whistler" turbocharger.
If your engine ID tag reads LDT-465-1D, that is the turbo which was used to replace the above mentioned unit.

Jeff.

homesaver

tHANKS FOR THE INFO JEFF i'LL HAVE TO HAVE MY BUDDY ON THE FARM CHECK THE ID TAG TO SEE IF IT'S -IC OR -ID, WILL GET BACK TO YOU WHEN i KNOW...

homesaver

Yo Mangus:
Great, but I'm still dubious, the two turbo's I have obviously deliver very different boosts as one has a much larger impeller & housing than the other and they both spin at the same RPM, right!! Please correct me if there's a flaw in my logic. So the engine must be tuned for the amount of boost delivered by the turbocharger, right? How this is done is a mystery to me, perhaps a different camshaft? Or something as simple as advancing the timing? That,s why i'm asking for this advise, but I'm not about to blow up my engine based on your glib response,sorry! Okay so, I've discovered that what I have is an LDS 465-A1 part# 10951400 which I suspect used to be a naturaly aspirated engine. It was rebuilt at tead AFB in 1989 & only has 186 miles on it, so , if it's a conversion it must have been done by the pro's & they chose to put the schwitzer 3LJ-319 turbo on it. Therefore, if I increse the boost & don't retune the engine it seems to me that i'd be gambling with a perfecly good motor? wadaya think about that?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 319 is the "C" turbo. The turbos will operate at different and varying RPM depending on housing and impeller designs. Its possible that Clark send you one of the older and larger 5 ton turbos but if they did you would need the different neck from the intake manifold. All this considered I figure they sent you a "D" turbo. Now either the turbo is bad or something else went crazy and caused your old turbo to expire. Perhaps something in the injection pump broke and caused a large increase in fuel delivery. FYI, you can run the truck without a turbo but it will make a smoky mess and the exhaust issue is a problem. "C" turbos are becoming pretty desireable lately although there are some real "D" turbo fans here. The boost levels are nearly identical with both turbos in this installation. Fuel delivery rate largely effects the level of boost from each of these turbos. As far as your engine, its from a 5 ton and was always turbocharged. There was a program in place where 5 tons engines were detuned and installed in the deuce. Sometimes our responses are somewhat brief and to the point without an explanation but you can rest assured that the "C" and the "D" turbos are completely interchagable without ANY adjustments on the engine. Mangus580s response was right on but just brief and to the point. While I make no clain to being a turbo expert, I've spent enough time on these trucks and owned enough of them to validate my claim.

homesaver

Thanks Recovery4x4
I'm getting a much clearer picture of the situation now, I thought that the tubo failed because the truck had sat for years & the seals had dried uot or something. I will check into the fuel injector /compensator to see if that was the cause.
My apologies to Mangus , I was getting frustrated with what appeared to be conflicting information!

So, anybody out there got a "C" turbo in good shape???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks