• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

scissors bridge tanks?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one sitting in the remote yard at Victory GSE in Los Angeles. I see it advertised for $100K in the MVPA mags or in MVM...don't remember. It has been there at least 10 years. Ran when parked :wink: He also had a tracked bomb carrier..not a548, but something different. I'll see if I can dig up a copy from my "library"

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the m48 based were 60' steel bridges, the m60 based were 60' but could be extended to 80' these were alum.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if santa had a few EXTER $$$$$ i would buy the ablv in cal in a heart beat

GOD help the MV world if i ever hit the loto

Last edited:

mudguppy

That is a lot of steel to just leave there.....
they might make some movements for mission critical equipment in the future. most equipment for CombArms units is 99% pre-po now - so what's already on the ground is what will stay. even CSS units are strapped to take anything back - we deployed 90% of our motor pool (left a some HMMWVs and a few cargos for rear-D) in '05, about 140+ pieces of equipment. we brought back about 20 pieces, mostly special mission essential equipment (commo vans and a couple shelters, couple of my parts trailers, etc.). wreckers, cargos, tractors, MHE - all stayed in theater.

nothing combat related that we had or i saw got sent back - we even had to leave our 50's and MK19s behind!!! anything up-armored stayed. even most all the prime-movers we had that weren't up-armored had to stay. seems they've gotten enough gear in place that they just move people in and out and the gears stays in place.

i'm not sure if the 10th and 11th engineers brought any of their ACEs or AVLBs back to stewart or not. :?: they may only be using the couple that were left behind for training and such.

that's why i'd say, whatever is over there will never come back - they just redistribute whatever is still state-side. there are a few exceptions - one that comes to mind is the M88A2 Hercules that 1st Cav had - for a quick second, i thought i'd be getting my hands on one when we relieved their MSB..... quick second.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any were ever surplussed out, it was a long time ago, 1960s or 1970s, and they were pretty new then, so if they got let go, it was an oversight. I have seen a couple dealers with the bridge sections out in their backyards.

Not sure if the M-1 Abrams-based replacement ever went online....

mudguppy

...Not sure if the M-1 Abrams-based replacement ever went online....
it didn't. just like the grizzly (ACE replacement) or the M1 based wrecker to replace the '88 - not cost justifiable because the M1 is

a) so dam'd expensive, and
2) the M88 / M60 chassis is so dam'd proven and fairly reliable.

Lonesome715

I wondered what happened to that idea. I was driving around today anf saw even more of those bridge tanks. I think they brought some more in.

mudguppy

i hope they didn't - they haven't been used since the invasion... :roll:

what camp? maybe they are centralizing them for movement?