• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scored a 85' M1009

pinbill

Hello-

Thanks for all the input with my WTB post. I spend alot of time on benzworld.org and ths is my first 4x4. Flew to Salt Lake from Denver after work yesterday and drove it home today. It is an 85 M1009 with 29000 miles that just came from the UT national guard. The miles seemed too good to be true but after driving it I was convinced, no wear on the petals, no smoke, no blow by, no knocking, 20.5 mpg on the highway, all the door latches, locks, and switches are tight, the thing drives like a new truck.

It has some rust on the tailgate and some spots on the fenders, and under the truck. But the rockers and floorboards are good. It needs a rear glass, and the tailgate is stuck. I am going to start working on it after I get back from the holidays. So far I am going to clean it, put a painted liner in the tub, install a banks turbo (got it on order supposedly the last one before they discontinue it), and fix the small stuff. I have a few questions to start:

Is is easy to put the rear glass in?
Can you paint Hurculiner or Durabak over POS15?
Do the stars on the bumpers and an am/fm radio mean it was for a general?
(thats what the seller thought maybe)

Thanks for your input, and I am psyched to start working on this.

Bill

Attachments

Jersey 93 Ty

The stars on the bumpers were on all of these trucks. AM/FM radios were fairly common "unofficial" modifications to these trucks during their service. It does look like a very nice truck you got, certainly nicer overall than my '85 M1009.

HardCorps79

The star simply indicates that it is a US vehicle. The all have them. However, the stereo may mean it was a HQ vehicle or something. Looks good. I've never installed the rear glass, but it normally can be had from a glass shop for $150 or so installed. You might check out LMC truck for the guts to the rear window as they are getting harder and harder to come by. Welcome aboard!

4bogginchevys

Hey there, nice truck. I have helped a buddy install tailgate glass many times in his blazer, it's pretty common for it to break if the window is partway down while driving or if the rubber seals on the tailgate/cap are worn,or if BOTH sides of the tailgate dont latch. you'll have to remove the weather strip on the tailgate inside and out if thier are no cracks in the corners(very common) otherwise just removing the outside strip should be enough. with the window about halfway down you can access the bolts in the metal track that are glued to the window. you might have to go up or down a little to gain access to them all. dont forget to lube all mechanisms/linkage while your in there! good luck!:-D

BTW, the clips that hold the weather strip on are re-usable if you dont get carried away removing it, a small flathead should work well.

Last edited:

ida34

One thing that might be keeping the tailgate from opening is the window situation. The window has to be all the way down before the tailgate will open. The is a lever inside that is actuated when the window is down that unlocks the tailgate so it will open. If someone appropriated the window then there is nothing there to disengage the lock. If the window was broken out then you should still be able to crank the frame all the way down and disengage the lock. If you still have trouble open up the access panel and manipulate the lock manually to get the tailgate open.

stampy

Rear glass is an easy install as you can access it by putting down the tailgate and unscrewing the cover. Welcome to the addiction. I too frequent Benzworld.org. I have 300sd's the m1009 likes biofuel almost as much as my 300sd. If you are interested in that route, there are plenty of threads here on that topic! Welcome!:-D

pinbill

Thanks for all the input and warm welcome.

I got the tailgate to open and the glass cleaned out. The window crank and modulator work but the modulator skips a few times when going up or down. I am going to try it with a new window in but may need a new modulator. I saw they had it at LMC. Good news though there is no outside trim to get in the way of putting the window in. :roll: I will have to get one.

The truck was hard to start this morning, so I am going to start testing the gp relay and gps, and look into by passing the resister. Then when she is road worthy I will start with the alternative fuels. Good to know there is info here.

One question: Is there a place to get blazer parts that is better than others? By better I mean cheaper and good parts selection. With mercedes it is autohaus az but with trucks I have no idea.

Thanks again,

Bill

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks