• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scout car clutch problems.

HQ-88

Hey all,
So, I have been getting the Scout all tuned up for a upcoming car show, and I keep running into the same problem. When the engine gets to operating temp, the clutch does not want to stop spinning. This problems only seems to happen when trying to go from neutral into gear. When the truck is cold, everything works just fine, but as she warms up, the problem starts. I have refilled the transmission fluid with a heaver weight gear oil that was recommended by a member here, but that did not seem to fix the problem. Also, I should mention that other than the clutch not wanting to stop spinning, everything works just fine, and the transmission seems to be fine as well. Its just the dang clutch.
The car show is on Wednesday, so I really hope we can figure this out by than.

Thanks.

61sleepercab

Pilot bearing idea is pretty good. How much use does vehicle get and how long has it sat before last use? Either not enough clearance for disk to spin free when clutch and pressure plate gets warm and expands or possible rust on clutch disk . Parts can expand enough in use when they get hot. How do I know? Fourty years of being around grist mills. Stone buhrr grist mills stones will get warm or hot from grinding and after about 15 to 30 minutes the mill's stones running clearance has to be loosened or you will make corn flour not corn meal. Your flywheel and pressure plate may be doing the same thing on a sticky rusty clutch disk. Ford 8N tractors are known to rust disks fast to clutch parts and foot pedal will do nothing. I made a bent 90 degree clutch unsticker bar by sharpening a long piece of flat strap like a wood chisel and working it around through the starter hole with the starter removed and the clutch pedal blocked in the free position. Hope you get the old girl to cooperate. Mark

HQ-88

The truck does not get much use, maybe once a year because of all the problems I have been having. I fixed all of them now though, expect this one. So, roughly how much play do I want in the clutch when the pedal is pressed? And what is the best way to adjust the clutch?