• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Screw-on style fuel filter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello--last year I had a screw on type of fuel ffilter. How often should that filter be changed? Thanks in advance
Tom Lovinggood
Hi Tom,

You will get a dozen different opinions, but if you don't drive it every day you can't really go by mileage. MY OPINION is that a filter is relatively cheap. Replace it once a year. Pick a day. Do it on the same day or weekend every year. Then add the quart or two of oil, and you should be good. Naturally, if you happen to be driving a few thousand miles a year - every few thousand miles is a good way to schedule your changes.

Tim Mullaney

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Tom,

You will get a dozen different opinions, but if you don't drive it every day you can't really go by mileage. MY OPINION is that a filter is relatively cheap. Replace it once a year. Pick a day. Do it on the same day or weekend every year. Then add the quart or two of oil, and you should be good. Naturally, if you happen to be driving a few thousand miles a year - every few thousand miles is a good way to schedule your changes.

Tim Mullaney
I don't drive mine more than 2-3 thousand miles a year. I change mine about every 3 years. I don't know if it needs it more often, but I have never had water in the fuel, and the ones I've cut open looked clean inside.

Skinny

Skinny--I wouild presume that when I do change the fuel filter, I must fil it with diesel fuel first?
If you have a primary and secondary you would only fill the primary. If you only have one spin on then no.

The theory is that when you fill by hand any contamination in the fuel is bypassing the element and going into the injection pump.

Sure there is variation depending on if the filter is a standard vs. reverse flow ie. which way does the fuel go in the filter.

But a better habit would be to figure out how to prime the filter and pump without filling the filter. Whether that is compressed air going into the filler neck or putting a hand primer on the filter head.

I'm sure it would be fine but it's probably a bad habit with a diesel filter since we are taking microns here.

What do you have for a filter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks