• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealing Compound MIL-S-45180

Stranger

I am rebuilding my injector pump and I keep seeing references to sealing compound MIL-S-45180.

I have tried searching the site and nothing pops of regarding it. If I google it there are lots of products that conform to MIL-S-45180D, but nothing specifically for its "non-D" sealing compound equivalent. Is this just standard liquid gasket making compound? Is it thinner that regular sealant? What have you used in the past?

There are some parts with REALLY tight tolerances asking for it. Specifically, I am supposed to put a thin layer of the sealing compound on the fuel supply pump housing cover before installing it on the fuel supply pump housing. "Apply a thin coat of sealer,MIL-S-45180, to housing cover and install cover (F)on housing. Secure cover with screws (H) and lockwashers(G). Tighten screws to a torque of 30-35inch -pounds."

If there was a thin coat of sealer between the cover and the housing it must have been microns thick, because there is NO trace of it now.

Welder1

You may want to talk with a diesel injection shop and ask them what they use on similar applications. See if there is a Bosch authorized shop local.

Stranger

After doing more research on MIL-S-45180 I found that it is co-listed with NSN 8030-00-656-1426. A search for NSN 8030-00-656-1426 revealed that it is none other than Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3.

I already assembled using Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket. Hopefully, it will work.

Jeepsinker

When there is no gasket at all, the stuff that comes in a can with the little cotton ball brush is better. It sets up more like a gasket by itself than the spray. The spray is great for coating existing gaskets.

rustystud

036.jpg035.jpg034.jpg
After doing more research on MIL-S-45180 I found that it is co-listed with NSN 8030-00-656-1426. A search for NSN 8030-00-656-1426 revealed that it is none other than Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3.

I already assembled using Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket. Hopefully, it will work.
This is the stuff. I have used this product for years now and it is great ! The only problem is it sticks to well ! If you have to remove the part it takes two strong men and a boy scout to remove it ! It is not a spray on gasket, you apply it with a brush.

Stranger

When there is no gasket at all, the stuff that comes in a can with the little cotton ball brush is better. It sets up more like a gasket by itself than the spray. The spray is great for coating existing gaskets.
I figured that out after I had already purchased the Copper Spray-a-gasket. What I did was spray it into a container and then use a small paintbrush to apply the liquid. Worked like a charm. If I had it to do over (which I really DON'T want to have to do) I would buy the stuff in a brushable form. HOWEVER, the brushable copper sealant intended for fuel parts isn't even listed on the Permatex website. All they have is the spray.

There are a bunch of "copper gasket sealers" available (e.g. Permatex Ultra Copper), but all of them say "not intended for parts in contact with gasoline". To my way of thinking, diesel is every bit as good a solvent as gasoline, so I wasn't going to take the chance.

Stranger

My brushed on copper spray-a-gasket held to 60 psi. I'm satisfied and will not be taking it apart to apply the "correct" sealant. .

I used the spray gasket material to "rejuvenate" the gaskets as well.