• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search failed me, Best A/C option

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'm looking for options for Air Conditioning for my M1009. Two promising ones seem to be the Vintage Air Mark IV under-dash kit, and the OD Iron CUCV kit. I've got a few special considerations for any AC I put in.

1. I have replaced the dash with a custom unit, so factory ducting most likely will not work. I will most likely be installing frog eyes or similar for AC vents as opposed to conventional square vents.

2. I have no intention of converting to 12v unless absolutely necessary. It's not that I'm particularly attached to the 24v system, but I'd rather not go through the additional hassle unless the hassle of installing an AC is greater.

With that said, aside from the two options I listed above, what else is out there? My number one concern above all is ease of install. I've pretty much resigned myself to spending ~$800-1000 to get this done, so as long as it's not too over that budget, cost isn't a major deciding factor. Obviously I'd like to save money if I can, but I'm already ok with spending the requisite money to get the job done.

CapKrk

Vintage Air is about $1200 and you will still need to fab up a compressor bracket for your truck. OD Iron has one fab'd for you and the kit is cheaper.

beanman1

I have seen them before but i cannot remeber who had them they just bolt under the dash and had 2 vents wasnt very big but cooled pretty good i guess they use them for hot rods and such

Napoleon_Tanerite

I have seen them before but i cannot remeber who had them they just bolt under the dash and had 2 vents wasnt very big but cooled pretty good i guess they use them for hot rods and such
those under-dash ones still use the same under-hood components as an in-dash kit, they just don't have any in-dash stuff. The evaporator box and vents are all contained in the under-dash unit. You still have to mount the compressor, condenser and dryer under the hood.

watkinssr

nostalgia air has a complete kit with the bracket for the compressor for 944...or a an underdash system for 629.

They told me they can sell the underdash kit with the bracket. I plan on getting one, so when I sit in the driveway and pretend to drive my static display m1009 I can keep cool.

rhinob

Anyone catch this review of the OD Iron A/C unit for the M1009? Any opinions on here? Also noticed that it appeared to cost more than the Vintage Air unit now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Eric Hasson Date Added: Wednesday 14 July, 2010

Unit doesn't fit and no support! So much for a bolt in unit.

Rating:
[1 of 5 Stars!]

rhinob

Exploring a roof top 24v system, 18,000 btu. All electric ompressor unit separate from the roof unit. Looks a little bigger than a PC/CPU case. I have requested an appointment to go look at them this week.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1010 uses the civilian-style A/C compressor mount for the A6 compressor. I just found a civie Suburban in a junkyard that had it and it was the exact bracket and compressor that is on my truck. However, the M1010 has both alternators on the passenger side of the engine. I don't know where the alt's are on a M1009 or M1008.

The stock-style condenser should fit in easy enough as well, leaving only the in-cab evap unit missing from the puzzle. Here is a pic of mine (I don't know what it is, but it just mounts under the dash. Blows a lot of cold air.).

Attachments