• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search is making me go blind! Need TN 5 ton registration info! Overseas now, calls=$$

Nationwide 63s

Hey all,

Yep, tried search...after three hours , NOTHING USEFUL.

i am overseas and just traded my harley back home for a 923A1. I'm trying to find out what I need to to for registration...I have a SC title, listed as pick-up, has a weight of 21,600lbs. No gross. Going home in JAN and I'm going to register it then.

i live in a rural community and may have to use it for hay, trailer horse, etc. It will not be modified except for the addition of a receiver hitch. I have access to CDL renewal for the next 5 years if needed.

Does anybody have any experience with Tennessee?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I typed in "TN insurance" in the google search and first few results had TN and Insurance in the title? There were over 10 pages of results as well.

Nationwide 63s

Thanks,

insurance will be a pretty easy answer.

I'm trying to nail down registration. The TN. GOV site gives you the forms and vague info on antique plates, which the truck qualifies for, but I can't find anything on hauling in the bed, trailers etc...all for personal use.

i do not want commercial plates for hauling a few bales of hay, a couple of horses, or home improvement supplies.

im just trying to see what other TN residents are experiencing with their 900 series cargo trucks. Antique, RV etc. registration.

Nationwide 63s

I'm in Kuwait now, a phone call to the DMV (on hold, phone cutting out, calling back, connection fees) would cost a fortune and probably get me pretty Agro! LOL!

No family back home is able to do it for me, they all live in different states.

i figured somebody from TN in the forum might be able to help with recent knowledge of the registration process and legal uses related.

if all else fails I'll have to wait for vacation and get AV plates just so I can drive it around legally.

cotton

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same spot now and showed my truck (M820 Expansible), a picture of it anyway, to the local county clerk, and she said she had no idea what to do with it. I have a title, so just need to make sure I go about registering it correctly. Maybe if I point her in the right direction, with examples of what others have done, she will be more help.

jacklegjim

I just registered my 813 in Lebanon TN.this week. I took them the title they asked me what kind of plate I wanted and I told them to give me a regular plate. I paid the tax and cost to register and left with my plate.My new title will come in the mail. I registered a deuce last year and it was the same process. I talked to a trooper about what driver license I need to drive it in TN. and he said as long as it was for recreational or personal use all I needed was a class D license. I got my insurence with progressive they had to write a commerical policy because of the GVWR. The cost of insurence for a year is 400.00.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go antique plates you will not be able to haul anything.
Those plates are meant for collecters who only use vehicles to exhibit.
You need to go with farm plates or the dreaded weight tag.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack you need to check with gulf way much better than progressive which is what I had before gulf way.
Plus with gulf way it's full coverage.

jacklegjim

Tennessee does not have farm tags if he gets a regular tag he can use it like any other vehicle on the road. Just don't use for commerical or any thing that you will get paid for doing. Antique tags will limit the use of the truck.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes andy thank you I forgot to mention that you tell tell them what truck is worth and they charge you accordingly.
I have mine valued at 15K

jacklegjim

I checked with Gulf way and they said that I could not even drive my truck to Lowes. There limitations are like having antique plates. That is why I went with progressive. I want to be able to haul stuff if I need to .
Are you able to haul something with Gulf Way?

Nationwide 63s

I did get both the Deuce and 5 ton registered and insured about a year ago. The 5 ton is registered as an Antique Auto.....yes it does have restrictions but I pay about 60 bucks a year for insurance. I also pay the same on the Deuce. I had to make a couple of trips to the insurance co. with pics and intent of use. The Deuce is registered as a daily driver.

DMV is not very clear on the license for collectors but it does outline commercial requirements clearly......which does not apply to non-commercial, privately owned vehicles.

cotton

Great info, thanks. I'm still a little concerned about a cdl though since this thing weighs around 29k and has air brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks