• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search question

tagjeep

I'm trying to troubleshoot a glow plug relay problem,and when I search certain terms it comes up with something that's not at all related. Is there a better way to search than just "glow plug relay"?

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some have had success with searching google, and putting steelsoldiers at the end of the search.

ex: glow plug relay steelsoldiers

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's how I do it:

I try to think of the common way that users would phrase the questions and answers, then I try to find an unusual word and include it.

Are you trying to troubleshoot/diagnose your relay, find a NAPA # for it, etc.?

Also this thread is where you need to put your future search questions:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/58151-trouble-searching.html

UncleSam

What's help me is, when I to a search I click on "Advanced Search" and under key words, click on "Search Titles Only" and it makes it easier for me to find what I need.

shenkmen

I use google's advanced search. It works the best.

1. Do a search on google.
  2. click "Advanced search".
  3. Your search terms will display in the box named "all these words". Modify as you wish.
  4. Fill out the box titled "Search within a site or domain:"
    1. To search all of steelsoldiers.com enter "www.steelsoldiers.com".
    2. To search a particular forum enter the complete URL (web address) of that forum. For example, to search the deuce forum you would enter "www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce".
  5. Click the "Advanced Search" button to submit your search.
Instructions for googles advanced search are available here - More search help : Tips for searching - Web Search Help

Pay close attention to the section "Terms you want to exclude (-)". Adding the minus sign "-" in front of words removes pages which contain that word or words from the search results.

For example - a search for "transmission fluid" will return all pages in the deuce forum which contains the term "transmission fluid".

Ahh, but you have a M35a2. You don't care about those automatic transmissions in the M35a3's. Time to remove those results (and the pictures of those a3's! eww!)

If you add the minus sing in front of a search term like this "-A3" google will remove all entries which contain "A3". Your search would look like this - "transmission fluid -A3".

The quotes are not required in the examples above. Just enter the text between the quotes.

The above may seem like a bit much. Give it a shot. It's very easy, quick and effective once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

Barrman

The site searches for you each time you name a new thread. Try it. Open a new thread and put in a title. Click in the box you normally type and wait a second. At least 5 threads will show up with similar titles.

The same thing is at the bottom of this thread too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks