• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!!!

TheBuggyman

I just entered "insurance" as the requested info in the search feature at the top and was given 477 matches. Most of these were not about insurance but they all ( I think) had the word in the message/reply bodies.

Perhaps if the choice were given in the search feature to just be able to query the topic line it would reduce the amount of results.

Would it be possible to have just a "topic line search" option?

NOW, we just have to use accurate topic descriptions. :wink:

BTW, I tried the search several different ways and still received 477 matches.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have trouble with the search also. I seem to be getting better with it but I still have to wade through a bunch of post to find the info I'm looking for. Is there someone here that has good luck with it that could "school" the rest of us on how to use it effectively? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm not the best with computers :( .

On a side note, There dose seem to be a bunch of new post about the same thing that was covered in length a day ago.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
joey said:
.... Now if only the search here could do that without returning hundreds of results of turbos winches etc
Just as an example try this: always use the forum only- search, enter Multifuel spin on filter, hit "search for all terms" = 6 matches and all related. There might be some more if you used synonyms, but certainly not hundreds!

The search function has always worked well for me, using specific and related words (together) for the requested topic.

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here is the trick to search fellas...........................

Say for instance you have insurance questions. You can do a search for "insurance" and you'll get 477 hits, for all the reasons listed above.

So try adding another word in to the search that you would reasonably expect to be in the topic you are looking for.

If it were me, I might try "insurance AND requirements", "insurance AND restrictions", etc. That way, you are culling out a lot of the posts.

Also, at the bottom left of the search screen, there is a choice on how you want the search results to be displayed. You can click either "posts" or "topics". It will automatically default to "topics" which means all you will see is the list of thread titles.

Click "posts" and you can actually see what people wrote that included the words you searched for. That will help you skim over the BS and hopefully you will see something that looks like what you need and you can go investigate further.

Search is a good thing. It took me awhile to get good at it, but now I find that 99% of the questions I have are answered by using a search.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I use the search feature as much as I can but it aggrevates me when I use the back button and each time it makes me start the search all over again. Maybe I'm not doing something right with it. On the other hand, I've been on long enough that I'm vaguely remembering many of the hot topics through my CRS brain and roughly when they were or who posted them or on what forum they were on.

Still not a fan of the search feature.

But wouldn't know what I would do with myself if I didn't have this site. Maybe have several additional hours of time on my hands but would use 10X that trying to figure something out on my truck that others on this site know the answer to in 5 minutes. This site has given me confidence to work on my truck which is one reason why I bought it (plus my mid-life crisis).

Besides, where else could I be Carnac.

If one performs a search on multiple arguments (ie "hub flipping") it is mandatory to mark the button "search for all terms". Maybe the webform for the search should come with this button marked by default, and not the other one "Search for any terms or use query as entered".

Example: if I search for "search sucks" and leave the mark on "Search for any terms or use query as entered" I get 1712 hits, when I mark the button "search for all terms" I get only 7, the post of joey above included :)

mangus580

medlog said:
I use the search feature as much as I can but it aggrevates me when I use the back button and each time it makes me start the search all over again.
To rid myself of this problem... when I open a search result, I right click on it, and go to 'open in new window (or tab)', leaving the results page intact.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main issue I have is the requirement for information at the bottom of the message has created false hits for most searches. It would be great if you search for winch that you don't get a hit for every message that some listed the trucks they have with a winch at the bottom.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mangus580

emmado22 said:
The main issue I have is the requirement for information at the bottom of the message has created false hits for most searches. It would be great if you search for winch that you don't get a hit for every message that some listed the trucks they have with a winch at the bottom.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 99% sure that the Sig lines have NOTHING to do with search results when using the forum search....

using Google on the other hand.....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
medlog said:
I use the search feature as much as I can but it aggrevates me when I use the back button and each time it makes me start the search all over again...
That used to be my case too... until I tried modzilla firefox....!
Just tested it again in comparison with internet explorer...., still the same.

G.

TedG

Mangus,

I found this years ago and when us users on the Benzworld Unimog forum had the same problems, I gave them this link. It is perfect for this issue. I recommend that it be placed on the front page. It is not dirty, just practical and funny. I am not the maker of it...

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

Enjoy!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hope a year from now when I forget the search tips everyone has gave I'll be able to search and find this post :lol: .

joey

If one performs a search on multiple arguments (ie "hub flipping") it is mandatory to mark the button "search for all terms". Maybe the webform for the search should come with this button marked by default, and not the other one "Search for any terms or use query as entered".

Example: if I search for "search sucks" and leave the mark on "Search for any terms or use query as entered" I get 1712 hits, when I mark the button "search for all terms" I get only 7, the post of joey above included
hrmmm I didnt know that. I spose, perhapse some of the problem could possibley be contributed to operater error on my part :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Unfortunately, this needs to be brought back to the top.

For Deuces, 5 tons and CUCV's, there is so much data here now that the odds are, 99.9% of the questions related to them have already been discussed.

It is much better to add a question to an existing thread, as long as it is the correct thread (obviously you shouldn't be adding towbar questions to a filter thread).

Also, if a poster does start a thread and others provide links to existing threads that cover that topic, please do not continue the discussion in the new thread. Go to the linked thread or do a search of your own, find the most pertinent one and bump it back to the top.

I understand not everyone has search karma. If you need help with search, ASK someone or post in the website help forum and we'll be glad to get you up to speed.

Honestly, the best thing you can do to become a better searcher is to read the forum. I know there are thousands of threads, but take a few weeks and familiarize yourself with the forum of the vehicle you are interested in. It will help you immensely.

I've been on other forums where a mod will lock the post and post the link to the previous discussion. Maybe that would help?

I am afraid we are going to have to start doing this. It's very time consuming and honestly, I think it kind of trains people not to search. They post a thread, knowing the info is out there but they are too lazy to search. Someone does the search for them and posts the links.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's time to start moderating new members, as we do on the Yahoo groups that I'm a member of. In that system, all of the moderators/list owners are sent an e-mail when a new post is made and they approve, disapprove, or withhold after they have read the posting. only the ones that pass are seen by the membership. here, it would have to be split up, with two or three moderators being responsible for a section or group of forums, primarily so no one moderator has to do all the work. Another way would be for the thread to be locked 'after' deletion of any answers and a message "thread locked for duplicate content".

BTW, I've never used the search function on the side - never noticed it till I read this thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks