• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Searching for a Rockwell Standard Rear End

helmsman

Hello all, I was directed to this site by a salvage yard that i talked to, he thought maybe someone on here could help me. Also i wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if this isn't correct, it can be moved.

I have a 1976 Paystar 5000 that was a military truck, or at least owned by the military. We took one of the rear ends out of it, and i am having trouble finding any parts for it.

The rear end is:
Rockwell Standart
Model TDR
NX11

It has a 08.31 ration (which seems to be the problem)

Truck has an 855 Cummings with an automatic and a 3 speed behind the automatic. Not a real common setup from what i can find.

If anyone know where i could locate parts for something like this i would greatly appreciate it, I am striking out so far. I don't really want to spend a huge amount of money on this...basically i just use the truck as a rough off road sand hauling truck, works great for that.

Thanks
Will

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well first off you need to add your state to your location .
Is this a dump truck ? there should be data plates on the dash with the model number . Posting all the inforation on the truck and some pictures will help figure out what you have.

helmsman

Located in Central WI. Yes it is a dump truck. There is no Data plate on the dash. I do know the truck is a 1976 Paystar/international 5000.IMAG1311.jpgIMAG1309.jpgIMAG1308.jpg

Here are some pics of the rear ends and the truck.

helmsman

Yep, that appears to be correct. The problem is finding the right rear end....have called several places and no one has been able to locate one. The parts are generally listed as "no longer available"

I was hoping someone on here maybe knew of a salvage yard or something that would possibly have one.

helmsman

I am not sure...my mechanic was calling quite a few places, one of which directed him to this site. He had me sign on here and post it because the internet is not strong with him. :) I will check with him tomorrow to see who all he has called. I know he has called a couple that specialize in military trucks.

helmsman

By the way, the "12 Commandments of Dump Trucking" in the manual posted above made me laugh:

THE TWELVE COMMANDMENTS OF DUMP TRUCKING
1. Thou shalt NOT dump while on unlevel ground having one set of tires more than 4-inches higher than thy other set, for
surely one day thy load will hang-up on the low side and thy dump truck will fall down beside thee. Great oaths and sworn
statements as to how many times thou hast dumped thy load in worst places shall be to no purpose for dump truck
buddies will forsake thee, thy motor pool officer will bring forth a statement of charges, and thy prospects for future driving
anything bigger than a wheelbarrow with leather gloves will be much in doubt.
2. Thou shalt be darn sure that thy PTO and thy hydraulic pump are NOT engaged whilst thy travel upon the road or
highways. The view of 12-miles of power and telephone cable draped gracefully around thy cab protector and hoist
cylinder is not pleasing to responsible authorities and, further, the sight of thy dump body resting firmly propped as a third
pier of a two pier bridge doth stir them to such great anger that thou art compelled to dwell in their guardhouse for many
days and many nights and to be deprived of feminine companionship, strong drink, Saturday football, and all pay and
allowances during that time.
3. Thou shalt NOT permit another rig to dump whilst alongside thine, not to thy left and not to thy right, lest the dump
truck driver be lacking in skill and upset his truck on top of thine. The humor of such an occurrence may elicit smiles and
boisterous laughter from thy buddies but will not be apparent to thy sergeant and should only be reported unto him after
determining that in neither hand does he hold a tire billy or other blunt instrument.
4. Thou shalt be certain that thy hydraulic system and thy hydraulic system's hoses are in good condition at all times lest
a hydraulic system malfunction or a worn hose blow out at a time whilst thou tryest to dump a 40,000 pound load, 30 miles
from the motor pool in 15 degree windy weather and thou findest it necessary to unload it 10-pounds at a time with a
shovel, hand operated, long handle, M1A7.
5. Thou shalt permit filling of thy dump body only up to within 6 inches of the top of thy sides or thy side-boards and,
further, thou shalt NOT allow rocks, gravel, sand, or any other commodity to spill from thy vehicle lest they cut a tire or
bash in the windshield of the Provost Marshal behind thee. A calamity of that nature may cause thee and thy dump truck
to be considered a hazard to the motoring public in general and Provost Marshals in particular and thee to be considered
unfit to fill out dump truck trip tickets, carry a dump truck license in thy chaindrive wallet, or other emblems of thy dump
truck driving profession.

6. Thou shalt NOT permit dozers or loaders to make any contact with thy dump truck, neither from the front, nor from
the rear, nor from either side, for the appearance of thy truck will be much the worse after such contact, thy motor pool
sergeant will rant and rave, and thy combined depot maintenance shop rascals will make thee and thy outfit, pay dearly. in
both downtime and money to correct the damages.
7. Thou shalt become wise in the nature of the commodities that thou haulest. If a load of lime or cement is allowed to
get wet, it will stay in thy dump bed forever; if a load of wet sticky clay is dumped, prevail on thy buddy to observe that thy
load is not hanging up in thy dump body, else thou may return with a load on.
8. Thy tires shall be checked for adequate pressure daily, and tire valve caps kept tight, and tires whacked with a club
every time thou stoppest, lest thy first knowledge of a flat is when thy buddy drives along side of thee and waves, blows
his air horns, and points meaningless gestures toward thy rear tandems, saying "Dum Dum Dump, Thou Art On Fire!"
9. Thou shalt drive thy dump truck as if it were an arm of thyself and neither lug thy engine or over-rev thy engine, and
never crash shift thy aux box on-the-run, and avoid rocks and potholes that may be strewn in thy path to test thy ability. If
the time is cometh when thou must take thy truck through the valley of rough going, provide her with tender loving care at
the first opportunity for truly thou art a professional dump truck driver.
10. Thou shalt NOT use ether and glow plugs at the same time else thy intake manifold shall verily depart from thy
engine. In freezing weather divert thy exhaust through thy dump body for a little heat goeth a long way to prevent freezing
of thy load to thy body.
11. When thou dumpeth hot asphalt in a paver hopper, have thy paver operator signal thee to keep the hopper loaded,
neither too full nor too empty. When thy body is hoisted too high and thou overloadeth the hopper, hot asphalt will rise up
and heap hot coals upon thy tail, taillamps, mud flaps and even thy brake chambers.
12. Blessed are the careful and wise dump truck drivers for they generally remain drivers of big dump trucks and seldom
revert to pushing wheelbarrows. Thy shalt respect, honor, and obey thy dump truck and her wiley ways. Thou shalt
consort with other dump truck operators and in the telling of tall tales, gleen from them their dump trucking secrets. Thou
shalt practice the art of dump trucking common sense to perfect thy profession. Verily, then it will be said that he who
heeds and obeys all these commandments and covets his dump truck is a dump truck driver and not a dumb, truck driver.

Are these Rockwell rated for 65,000 pounds ? they look so much like what what was used in some oilfield trucks used around here years ago

helmsman

Are these Rockwell rated for 65,000 pounds ? they look so much like what what was used in some oilfield trucks used around here years ago
Looks like according to the manual posted that they are rated for 50,000 pounds. The problem we are running into is with the gear ratio...that low of a ratio is apparently not very common. Can find other rations, but not 08.31.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call MV businesses.

Several advertise on this site.

The closest to you may be Eastern Surplus or Sam Winer.

Boyce Equipment, Oshkosh Equipment, Memphis Equipment, TnJ Murray.

Simply Google "Military truck parts".

Last edited:

helmsman

If a place is easily showing up on google, we have called....asked most of them if they knew anyone to call, that is how i ended up here.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those not the same center differentials that are used in the 800 series 5 tons? I know the ratio is different, but the carrier is not the same? If they were, could you just change both carriers and have a different final drive ratio? I could be totally wrong on this, they just look similar.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those not the same center differentials that are used in the 800 series 5 tons? I know the ratio is different, but the carrier is not the same? If they were, could you just change both carriers and have a different final drive ratio? I could be totally wrong on this, they just look similar.
Completely different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks