• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Searching for Bolts

mutt_r

I am in the middle of my M35A2 restoration. Where do I find the bolts for the propeller shafts? From the TM it is NSN 5306-00-752-1001, P/N 7521001.

Thanks a lot in advance for your hints,

Richard

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
From the heads they just look like Grade 8. Is there something different about these?
Seems like the shoulder of those bolts are a little longer than a similar bolt the same length.
Not certain about that - sitting here in the air conditioning enjoying it. ;-)

mutt_r

@jasonjc We are talking abount $200 for just a few bolts plus shipping. Just yellow galvanized, not gold-plated.

@Mullaney Yes, it is the shoulder. The bolts are 1 1/2" long, the thread length is just 3/4".

I've read in another topic, that one should stay away from fully threaded bolts because this can lead to an imbalance.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

3135 steel
Grade 8 bolts are comprised of carbon alloy steel, thus giving them a high psi rating. Zinc or yellow zinc grade 8 bolts are available to resist corrosion. The factor that makes a grade 8 bolt different from a lower grade bolt is its preload strength. Higher grade materials, such as carbon alloy steel, allow for greater torque strength in the threads of the bolt. The preload, or thread tension in a fastener is higher when the type of steel being used is grade 8 in quality. Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers lists Grade 8's as 150 ksi fasteners meaning the tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch.

Grade 8 bolts are medium carbon alloy steel, quenched and tempered at a minimum temperature of 800 degrees Fahrenheit. They are then heat-treated to achieve a hardness of 33 to 39 on the Rockwell C scale.

CMPPhil

Hi

Just to add a thought, be sure that both nut and bolt are sitting flat when tight. Recently ran into a problem on a replacement drive shaft the bolt heads were just a little to large and would hit on flange so that they draw down flat. Two fixes get different bolts or grind the edge a little off one flat of each bolt so that they sit down flat, or get new bolts. In the end I did both ground the edges to get the truck moving and then found the correct bolts.

Cheers Phil

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am in the middle of my M35A2 restoration. Where do I find the bolts for the propeller shafts? From the TM it is NSN 5306-00-752-1001, P/N 7521001.

Thanks a lot in advance for your hints,

Richard
They are shoulder bolts for a few reasons, not the least of all to transmit torque and with the locking nut to not move out of position. Very common on a Deuce for all the jackshaft bolts ( shoulder bolts) to be loose.
Easiest to pull up the floor to clean replace tighten them.
These nuts are about $1.50 each. Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 38084?
Best to get new nuts if they are loose. I think they call them a stover nut or some thing like that. It's the kind of nut that the top has some dents in it pointing to the inside. They are a one time use type nut. Ny-locs will loosen up. Block the wheels, leave both the transmission and transfer in Neutral and you can spin the shaft easy.
1/2"-20 Yellow Zinc Finish Steel Top Lock Nut USA for Grade 9 Applications
These nuts and bolts will not be found at the hardware store of HD.
jackshaft IMG_1355.JPG

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks a lot in advance for your hints, Richard
So you got the TM and the part numbers. Now just goto Part Target and insert one of
those numbers, either the part number or the NSN and click go.
It will present everything you need to know about that part.

Grade 9 bolts are ideal for heavy-duty applications and are also often used in heavy machinery such as bulldozers. Not only are these bolts considerably stronger than they're grade 8 counterparts, but they are also considerably more resistant to corrosive elements as they are made with yellow zinc chromate

Guyfang

Staff member
Tech info for NSN: 5306-00-752-1001.
THREAD CLASS3A
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
THREAD LENGTH0 803/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 823/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
FASTENER LENGTH1 49/100 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 51/100 INCHES MAXIMUM
HEAD STYLEHEXAGON
HEAD HEIGHT0 159/500 INCHES MINIMUM AND 169/500 INCHES MAXIMUM
WIDTH BETWEEN FLATS0 37/50 INCHES MINIMUM AND 19/25 INCHES MAXIMUM
NOMINAL THREAD DIAMETER0 1/2 INCHES
FEATURES PROVIDEDFINISHED HEAD
THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH20
HARDNESS RATING24 ROCKWELL C MINIMUM OVERALL AND 34 ROCKWELL C MAXIMUM OVERALL
MATERIALSTEEL COMP 3135 OVERALL
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONSAE ASSN STD SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL

Other part numbers are:
80P1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks