• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

searching for transfer case drawings,exploded views

Farmer

Hello,just wanted to say thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot the old M35A2 sitting in the yard.Turned out that the arm under the cover of the engine kill cable was seized up tight,a few shots of wd-40 to loosen things got the engine to fire up again.
Now I'm looking at a messed up transfer case,still have yet to figure out if it is sprag or air feed,it does have a black rubber hose about the size of my little finger going into it. Removed the cover from the floor of the cab to check the linkage,everything looks fine. I think it is time to jump in head first and drop the transfer case,and some drawings at that point would really help the person that has to go inside of it. One more thing,on a scale of 1 to 10,10 being the most difficult,how hard,or easy, is it to swap out cases? roughly how much does one weigh? Is there enough vertical room to roll one in and out from under the truck on a transmission jack?
Sorry for so many questions,I just don't want to hit any unpleasant surprises,this is my first real automotive repair job. Scary thought eh? T.I.A

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean with "messed up"? Symptoms?

That (air)hose going to the front section of the TC indicates it's an air shift T136-27.
Check the TM section, TM9-2520-246-34 and -34P show everything you need to know.
Common sense, time, a 6x4 beam at least 4 ft long, a chain hoist and some hand tools is all you need to swap them out.
For safety reasons I prefer not to use a transmission jack, just lower it to the floor and drag it out.
Estimated weight: 500 pound; difficulty rate: low!

G.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can lower it down onto a furniture dolly and take the spare tire off. It will out from underneath the truck in the upright position. Did you troubleshoot it and KNOW it's a t-case problem? It would suck to take it out and find nada wrong with it.

Farmer

Well,when the T.C lever is down,the truck will do nothing as the clutch is released while in first or reverse gear,like it is still in neutral. With the lever up,the truck will shudder followed by a clanking sound,but will not move an inch. I removed the panel on the floor of the truck to access the linkage,everything seems to be o.k with the linkage. I can see the shaft on the front of the case turning freely when the truck is in neutral with the lever down in low position. When I pull the lever up,the shaft will stop turning,and again the truck will shutter as the clutch is released. I really do not know what else to do,or what other problem it may be.I don't think it's in the motor itself,it runs fine.
My father thinks that someone has fooled with the transfer case lever(while the truck was not running) and forced something inside the transfer case out of synchronization.I mentioned that low oil may have destroyed it,but he thinks the case is way too robust to fail,even with low or no oil at all. Dropping the case and looking inside of it is the only way to find out for sure. I'm all ears for any tips or tricks at this point.T.I.A