• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat Belt Question

Loose Deuce

A head rest would be nice also, weld a bar, pipe or something behind the seat and to the floor behind the seat. Could rig up the harness points off the head rest maybe ? Would have to be something not too big so it wouldn't take up too much space between back of seat and rear of cab wall. Heck I have so many projects lined up to do to my truck I dont think I will ever get them done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've swapped to a second springer seat before. You have to use the springer seat belt arrangement but its no problem. 3 out of 4 holes in the seat base align with existing holes. My biggest problem was losing the 3rd seat. I had no idea how much I used it until it wasn't there. Pic attached.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is planning how he is going to manipulate me to his advantage. Are you staying at the hotel there at Doswell or will you be resting in the truck? Our travel plans are ever changing and we might be there the night before.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year, we spent the night in the motel. Don't think they'd let us park there if we slept in the truck.
We didn't have the luxury of a shelter, just a tent, so the options were limited anyway.
We'll pay for a room again to keep things simple.

scootertrs

a lil' bit out of time but maybe interesting for someone....
Off Road Seat Belts
colouroption: olive drab
Interesting options, would like to know how bad to get in and out of them. I guess they would have to be fit (adjusted) to a particular driver/passenger? If attached to floor at the 3 spots, is the floor of the deuce stout enough to do what this belt wants it to do? How would it work with the stock seats? I can see the drivers side, but am having difficulty with the passenger(s). Maybe my driving gets a bit spirited at times, but it would be nice to stay in the seat while offroading -:)

thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the FMTV operator's TM, but found only this illustration hinting at a seatbelt, no other reference.
Are the seatbelts in this vehicle 3-point (over the shoulder) or just the lap type?

My 1969 8x8 manual shows the use of the seatbelt. I have also found that driving faster off-road really requires a seatbelt or you'd be all over the place.

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
seems to me like a lap belt....better than nothing, ok for offroad, they keep you in place, but in the case of a front impact your don't looking really good.

Lex_Ordo

Interesting you mentioned this.
My duece came with two springer seats. The unit that had it must have got tired with the bench so they swaped it out. It is such a pleasure to drive the duece and carry things in it. It makes it much easier to move around in the cab too.

I spent a few months looking for two sets of springer seatbelts to replace the old grease soaked ones that came in my truck.

Since I have a soft top, I figured I would just continue to use the lap belts. I did locate two different springer seatbelts, which I was happy about because I have two different style springer seats in my truck.

Attachments

Snarky

The non-collapeable steering shaft is a consideration. However, like Kenny, Nick loves to ride with Daddy! When he outgrows the child safety seat there will be modifications done for his safety.
The 'spearing wheel' scares me. They made it out of pure evil, so that if an enemy were to try to steal the deuce unknowningly, it would break their thumbs at the first bump, rip out of their hands, and crash into something hard, breaking the ribs cage with the 20" wheel, and then spearing them through the heart with the non-collaspable steering column. It's the deuce's primary security device, it doesn't need keys. :smile:

I was looking at a flatbed freightliner to see if I could pirate the seat beat, but it only had a lap belt as well. I guess the logic is, if you hit something hard you're not qualified to drive.

59apache

Chipmaker
I guess the logic is, if you hit something hard you're not qualified to drive.
:funny:

also a kind of anti theft device... the thief is easily to identify, just look around for someone with broken thumbs or ripped out hands.....

the reason for my thoughts about a 3 point belt or something like that is an accident my girlfriend has 6 weeks ago. someone miss a redlight and crosses her way. both cars a totals, nobody injured, thanks to god. but without the safety belt i dont really want to think about....

ok, with a reo she drive over the other car...but stop: this might be the hard bump!

59apache

Chipmaker
where could i look at? m35a3 are real rare in bavaria.... does anybody has a few good pictures? all i see was a pic with 3 post's in the cab, but nothing about reinforcements....

Scarecrow1

Hey I'm Just happy to see guys use them. In the 25 years of gear jamming I still remember the one time a thin ugly brown strip of webbing held me in place while the world did a couple of diagonal flips just outside of my trucks windshield. I walked away the package car was not as lucky :twisted: I don't care if its two rope ends I tie so i don't die :grin:

79driver

I noticed our m35a3 at the fire hall has 3 point belts, i will try to take a picture in the next day or so. It seens lke the shoulder attachment point is mounted to a curved metel plate that comes from the floor and hugs the cab corner. It may even be bolted or welded, i dont know.

chaplain

I caught this thread surfing the site and here is my :rant:.
)
Having been in law enforcement and seen maybe a hundred of big rig (18 wheeler) wrecks over the past twenty years I speak from experience. Big is better but doesn't make you safe. I have seen drivers killed and many many many trapped in their trucks after a roll over collision. I know that in my deuce 54 mph is all I got to look foreward to but thats is still enough to get you killed at highway speeds. Be careful Guys drive save and wear your seat belts. anything that adds to modern safety gear ain't bad either.
God Bless

NEIOWA

Fire industry has become very safety aware due to apparatus wreck. Typical leave road and roll, not a headon it to a VW. Seat belts (3point) save your butt in a wreck. But if you leave the road surface you need more than that. For fire trucks I've become totally converted to extruded body and nothing else. No folded/bent Al or steel for me, save that for a tool box or dishwasher. Those Extruded Aluminum frames will provide a rollbar which will save a FF in a rollover.

A "commercial" truck cab, duece or Freightliner will crush down to the engine block and the rear of the bed/frame in a rollover. Last truck wreck I was at was Cl8 tandem flatbed that went rolled lengthwise (off should and nose into a culvert). Both guys survived, seriously messed up, but took a long time to cut them out. If you can install some kind of rollbar good plan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks