• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat Belts

hoplite666

Anyone have any experience with the universal 3 point seat belts on ebay? The factory belts in my M1009 have not retraced since I've owned it and took them apart to clean and check the operation and one is beyond repair. I'm trying to avoid spending the hundred dollars a piece lmc truck sells them for. I had originally hoped to score a set of seats with built in belts from a newer gm truck but no luck at any of the local scrap yards.

Ilikemtb999

I replaced mine with brand new hmmwv belts I got from ebay. I think they were $30-40 for the set. Give me a second and I'll find the thread.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea about the universal seatbelts but it's my experience that stuff that is claimed to fit everything, won't fit anything (without modification).

hoplite666

I could tell from the pics that the "universal" ones would need a 90* bent bracket on the female end at the floor. I like how the hmmwv ones have a rigid stem on the female end. I'll probably go with some of those.
Thanks!

hoplite666

Pm'd you.HMMWV belts and hardware You'll need to enlarge the hole on the retractor assembly to re-use factory hardware and secure it to the cab. As well as drill a small hole in the cab for the anti rotation nipple to fit into. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

IMAG0371.jpg

Here are the 90* "L" brackets to attach the female buckle to the cab floor

IMAG0367.jpg

Then I sleeved the female buckle assembly with a shock boot to cover the hardware and give it a clean look

IMAG0366.jpg

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Today I replaced 30 year old front seat belts M1009 as shown in hoplite666 post above.I replaced the Torx head fasteners with hex head. Not a fan real tight, old Torx fasteners. Have broken one bit so far. Could not believe all the dirt that was in retractor assembly. Thank you to hoplite666 for excellent photos!

ssdvc

Did the same thing on my M1009, drivers side only. My wife is mad because her belt is still the ratty old original. I'll make it a priority, one of these days :D.

cucvrus

Just remember that what ever the belts are attached to they have to have a good anchor point. I see belts bolted to seats that are just bolted to floor pans and vise versa. Seatbelts are designed to with stand massive force. You can't just put a nut and bolt thru the floor and tighten it. You need to weld a 12 gauge or heavier anchor point under the floor that will spread the force out over a greater area. If the OEM holes are still usable and mounted solid use them. They were designed and tested for seat belt use. I would not want to have my seatbelt on and have it pull loose from the floor on impact. It has happened. Just some advise. Nothing more. Happy Thanksgiving. Chief Cook and bottle washer for the day.