• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat swapping in M1009 question answered...

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... by me... :razz:

I wondered if a passenger seat (bottom) would work on the driver's side?

It does, but you have to probe for the mounting nuts on the frame, punch a hole in the vinyl and bolt in the seat back.

Hope this helps someone.

natemccabe

does this fix the gansta lean that seem to come with all these trucks? I very rarely have a passenger and if I do, they can lean back instead of me.

Anubis8472

does this fix the gansta lean that seem to come with all these trucks? I very rarely have a passenger and if I do, they can lean back instead of me.
Must be standard issue ....

I found one way to 'fix' it was to place a nut in the slot that the seat back stops against.
Unfortunately the nut falls out every time you pull the seat forward, and only supports one side of the seat. So you get a little bit of 'twst' feel to it.
Not to mention the seat back becomes very 'bouncy'.
The other way is to fold up the rear seat against the seat back and tie it down so it's firm.

Been searching all over for a part to fix this and come up empty every time. I don't know if the actual issue is on the seat bottom, or seat back side of things. I've considered bolting in a brace from the floor to the seat back to keep it firm and limit it's 'gangsta lean'.

AZDeuce

Mine didn't have the "gansta lean" until I backed into a pole I didn't see in the mirror, and weighing 348 at 6'4" I got instant gasta lean for my troubles....as well as bent previously pristine rear bumper.

I may switch seats, but would prefer a cheap fix. I can't afford to scrounge the junyards right now. If anyone has a plan let us know!

Anubis8472

I read somewhere on here that the seats are S-10 seats and not the same as the civvy versions. So presumably if you were to yank a set from a yard you would need the whole base.
I remember my '78 K-5 had rigid seats. Only the passenger side lifted for rear access, even then the whole seat moved as a non-folding unit. There was a big lever that latched into the same (unused) pin in the floor of the m1009.

I keep eying the seats in my f-150. They are incredibly comfortable, but they mount on a base that runs acrost the truck and certainly would require a custom base to be made. Not to mention if they sat any higher then the cucv seats the steering wheel would present a whole new issue.

Has anyone taken them apart to find the particular spot where the seat is bending back? I fear it might be a case of bolt holes stretching out of shape. Would be nice if it could be fixed by replacing a bracket with a more HD fabrication.

I won't be taking mine apart till this spring when I'm ready to rust-proof/bed-liner the whole interior.

combatmech

I mounted a set of 2004-2005 S-10 Blazer seats up front. No more lean, at least on the drivers side. I think the passenger seat bracket is warped....I just added a few extra washers on the passenger side to level it out.
The seats themselves were super easy to mount. The only extra step was to drill two extra holes in the front of the seat pan. Other than that, they mounted right up to the adjuster.
Here is a link the pics....post 743
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54524-what-have-you-done-your-cucv-today-lately-75.html

Last edited:

topgun217

I found a really good drivers seat at the bone yard; I used the old seat base and everything else fell into place. The seat was out of a 85' s-10 pick-up. The only bad side is that the seat does not fold forward. The plus is that I do have a reclining seat. And its cloth instead of vynal, a winter time plus!

I was lucky and found a 86 K5 civi version with 2 really good front seats. I personally did not like the look of the of the cici k5 seats though.

I also found a custom upholestry shop locally last week and took my old beaten and ripped driverseat in and she will repair/replace with new gm fabric for right around $150.

Anubis8472

Anyone know why they didn't use the civy k5 seats?

My best guess is rear seat accessability from both sides?
Never had an 80's k5, but my '78's seats were more comfortable.
Sat a little higher, but were fixed seats, did not fold forward and did not adjust backward. (passenger side entire seat flipped forward bottom and all).

DrJekl

You can fix the lean a bit by installing a reclining seat hinge. All you do is swap the outside hinge and cover. Get the seat back in a more upright position or you can get more lean out of it.