• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seatbelt Laws for a Deuce –CA

silveradohd39

I have read through the forums about various seatbelt laws for older vehicles, but none seem to be clear cut. I would like to haul some people in the back of the deuce, and not sure if seatbelts are required here in CA. The only loophole that I can think of is that this truck was originally designed as a passenger vehicle (because of the bench seats), and it never came with seatbelts. Please chime in if anyone knows anything about this,
Thanks

Carl_in_NH

I'm just thinking of the liability of hauling people in the back. Your insurance company likely isn't going to cover that type of operation (I know mine expressly forbids it), and if someone gets hurt they are going to sue you.

A parade might be a special exception - but generally hauling people in the back, either on or off road, not the best of ideas in this lawsuit happy society.

When I was a kid there was no such worry - we always rode in the back of pickups; now, not a chance I'd allow it in one of my vehicles.

silveradohd39

Yes, I am aware of the liability issues at hand, its to bad our society has come to this. I dont plan on doing this on a regular basis, but if I had to for some reason, id like to at least know the laws regarding it. One instance is during christmas time, our local neighborhood goes crazy with the lights, and its always fun loading up friends and family and cruising the neighborhood (at 5mph), and serving hot chocolate in the back. It still on a public road. In the past, the cops just wave and turn their head, but just wanted to know more about it.
thanks for the post.
Thomas

Flyingvan911

Most states don't allow people to ride in the bed of a pick up. I would imagine most cops would concider the deuce a giant pick up and give you a ticket. Then you'd have to go to court and fight it and yada, yada.

Hammer

CA only allows it for properly secured seats and seat belts.
But I never looked far enough to see what their definition of those are.
Example, subaru brat, some had real seats in the back with seat belts.
But I know they had some more changes going through this year I think. So YMMV....

Dodge man

FWIW I have a '51 M37 with no seat belts but Florida recently (2009) passed a law that said that all occupants of a vehicle must wear a seat belt and shoulder belt. At least that's the PUBLIC version!

BUT I just looked up the ACTUAL law (Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine) and basically it says that occupants riding in an area normally used for cargo do not have to wear seat and shoulder belts. It says "[SIZE=-1]The requirements of this section do not apply to the living quarters of a recreational vehicle or a space within a truck body primarily intended for merchandise or property." Section 6 (c). So that would apply to the bed of a deuce since it is a "CARGO Truck".[/SIZE]

Also it says [SIZE=-1]"The requirements of this section do not apply to motor vehicles that are not required to be equipped with safety belts under federal law". Section 6(d). So that belts are not required inside of vehicles such as my '51 M37 that did not come with belts. If your Deuce is old enough then that would apply to it to.

Again this is FLorida law but I expect Ca may have similar exemptions. Go do a Google search for your state's law and read it. I also printed out a couple of copies to carry with me in my M37 for those overzealous LEOs!
[/SIZE]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks