• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

seats and center console

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are military canvas seat covers available, don't know the NSN but they're out there. There are also aftermarket covers available but some members report that these seats are not the same as civilian K5 seats so be careful. And, what console?. No M1009 was factory equipped with a console.

3dubs

You can change the seat out to civi seats. I plan to go to an upholstery shop and get the seats recovered. I was thinking about a metal box like a console and paint it with green CARC. My two cents.

niferous

I would go with a black marine vinyl unless you can find someone that can do OD green. I am in the process of getting some black ones for my Land Cruiser and the trucks I've seen that had them looked great. Also it is very tough, water resistant, and cheap. For the center console I'm thinking about going with a big ammo can! :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the 20MM cans many times for a console. They look cool but are not friendly from the drivers seat. If you want a nice steel console, Tuffy makes one that is about as good as it gets. It also has the spot in it or a radio and is securable. No reason one couldn't paint it to match the truck.

niferous

I too have been thinking about the Tuffy Box or maybe even fabbing my own. It really wouldn't be hard at all to make one. I work in the oilfield supply business and there are a lot of people out there that can bend steel or other metals that I deal with. The best way to do it is just to draw out about how you want the box to look. Then get a large piece of cardboard and spec out how you want the box to look like. When you are done drawing it on the carboard cut it out and then bend it using a carpenters square (to make sure it's straight). Tape it up where it meets at the seem and see how you like it. Stick it in your truck and see if you like how it sits etc. Then just transfer your drawing onto the sheet metal. I would go with an aluminum in about a 10 gauge. That is slightly less than an 1/8 in thick but should provide plenty of stength for this application. You need to start in the center and work your way out so that the seem that will be welded will meet up in the center of the back on the console.

Actually having said all that I think I'm going to make some specific to the CUCV. I will have to wait though until I pick mine up unless someone in Houston wants to let me come take some measurements on their's. If it works out and you guys like them I can start building them on the side. I will let you everyone know in another post how it turns out and include some pictures.

3dubs

Aluminum is good but if I was making the first one of many I would use steel. Steel is much more forgiving. I was thinking of designing one that locks and has fold up cup holders. It is hot in Houston and an ice cold drink sure is nice!

niferous

I thought about steel too simply for the cost and the ease of welding. However I like aluminum because it's light and easier to work with and bend. Also it won't rust. I also though about making one out of diamond plate aluminum. I will have to see how much I can get a sheet for and and then figure out how many boxes I could build from that one sheet.

AllenEM

I built mine out of diamond plate aluminum 24"l x 15"w x 18"h it has a 16" x 15" x 18" area for storage, a area to hold note books 4" x 15" x 18" and the front area holds my fire radio, siren control box, and two light control boxes and flash light, power outlets. and its high so it makes a good arm rest. plus there is about a 4" x 15" area under the back to hide small things.

topgun217

I went to the local politiclly correct "Auto Salvage Depot" and picked up a console out of an 86' civy version, I got lucky
the interior matched my 1009 and it locks too! Got it for $10.00 I too was looking for oem seat covers but haven't been so lucky there.

68impalass

I spent a lot of time on "what seats are in a m1009". Come to fine out they are a match to s-10 pickup truck bucket seats, circa 1983-1990. The same pattern is not out there but other covers complete with hog rings and pliers in a lot of colors and patterns are available. Just google s-10 seat covers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks