• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seats

willysmd

Hi all again

Is there a way to re-do the seats in a duece without spending loads of quids and doing it yourself, what is under the worn out canvas, someone might have done this before nay suggestions please.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife redid mine. We got some of those 2 man pup tents. Better known as a half a tent from the army surplus. Then she cut them to fit. Since the back and bottom was wood she took a heavy duty stapler like you get at a hardware store and stapled the material to the seat wood. Since she recovered them they have held up well. And they are quite water/ weather restant.

FrankUSMC

"better known as a half a tent" .....we called them shelter halfs.
One of my DIs called them "low income housing"
One of the few, Frank

houdel

My companion seat is the same construction as Joel's. Dummy me, when I recovered it, I didn't even think to pull out the old fiber matting and replace with a piece of foam rubber.

willysmd

Good idea we have them pup tents over here, thanks for the offer jkelly, but once the shipping is paid I could probabaly buy brand new seats what with the charges at customs etc. I thought horse hair was used as the wadding??

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, the pup tent canvas is much finer (=thinner) than standard cab or cargo cover canvas. It will not stand up very well.
You can purchase high quality canvas from OD Cloth and other suppliers for about $35/yard. I did and also got an awl and thread to match. My driver's seat was made this way from the original worn out seat covers as patterns. I stitched the covers and turned them inside out to hide the stitching.
Did my "Bikini" top that way to. :)

Attachments

micky

seats

A canvas repair kit would have everything to diy. I am not sure if the weight of the canvas is correct for that application but the kits are grtting cheaper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: seats

I use the remnants of a GP Small tent. The material is the thinner version but for the cost of staples I can redo it yearly for about 10 years and still keep it under $2. I am considering doing away with the metal frame for the companion back and soing foam and marine plywood. I will have to drill 4 holes for the bolts but it will be no problem.

willysmd

RE: seats

All good ideas people I will have to start looking around for this gear as the show season starts in May and I am not ready, also have to do my M606A1 for this year as well, busy,busy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks