• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Second 923A2 205 miles home in TX

davo727

This one was at Ft. Hood North. Thanks to David from Conroe ( 2ndefence ) for going over there with me and helping get er home. ( If you need 223 brass hes the guy )

It had Flammable warning placards all over it and I took those off before leaving the base.

Brought 2 new batteries and swapped those in, one of the army guys even set all 4 of the old ones on the ground as I handed them out of the truck :) It then fired up instantly.
Used a big pipe wrench and a hand sledge to get the fuel cap off and found it was full to the top which is good but the filler screen and neck were rusted to heck ( issues coming up ).

Had a little issue getting it to stop bleeding all the air overboard- more on that later. Eventually got the tires aired up and had 120 psi brake pressure but rolling out it started dropping and as I pulled out of gate the low air alarm went off , so idled over in the grass along a little side street directly across from the gate to work on the air deal.

The purge valve on the bottom of the air dryer unit was stuck open and I pushed it back up and it made normal air and I drove off. A few minutes later it started dropping so I pulled over and drained all the air and sprayed wd40 up into the bottom of that purge drain and also pulled the air inlet line off the dryer unit and sprayed some wd40 into it and reconnected and fired the truck up and it made great air and was perfect the rest of the way home.

Ran about 50 miles and she started losing power. Pulled over and noticed this truck didn't have the big canister fuel filter, all it had was a 3 inch long inline filter. Pulled that out and put in a hose splicer fitting in its place and changed out the engine mounted spin on fuel filter and the truck ran super for about 130 miles or so. The last 20 miles it started losing power in top gear but made it home.

If it had been a really long trip home it would have been a problem. Would have needed a box of filters.

Attachments

davo727

Duct tape didn't hold the front of the roof. Had to tie down the bottom rear of the soft top also. Then the rear window part of the top blew out :) So I had lots of ventilation and a lot of dirt blowing in my eyes. I had glasses on but needed motocross goggles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks