• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Secondary Oil Pressure Gauge

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen where some of you have installed fuel pressure gauges on the top port of the filter housing, and have figured out how to do that, but I’ve also seen photos of some secondary oil pressure gauges installed right behind the drivers side valve cover. Has anyone here done that, and can opine on the best way to do so? Thanks

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gauge basicly can be mechanicly or elektronicly driven. The on you see on top of the oelfilter is 99.9% a mechanicly driven one. Means, it is directly connected to the oil and displays the vaue directly.
The most modern gauges for mounting inside the car are made of two components. A sensor and a simple display. The sensor sits on the same position ontop of the oeilfilter and deliverys his measurements to the display in the cabin.
There are some older once, just like i have in the firebird, the deliver the oil(pressure) by using a seperate oilline into the cabin and use a mechanicly driven gauge. But thats oldschool.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You remove the electronic sending unit, install a 1/4" NPT "T" then re-install the sending unit and a mechanical oil pressure gauge, probably the easiest thing in the world to do and completely unnecessary as there is little you can do about the oil pressure anyway.
If you have driven a FORD product in the last 25 years and thought it had an oil pressure gauge you have been fooled all FORD products only have an idiot light switch connected to a gauge, if you look at a FORD oil pressure gauge it stays exactly the same, hot/cold idle/max RPM
So even the FORD engineers think an oil pressure gauge is unnecessary, only the marketing folks think so.
SO in conclusion just drive the dang thing and use the oil pressure gauge as a relative instrument, if it changes then there is a reason to check into it.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the past reading through a bunch of posts, these engines don't really have oil pressure issues. If something isn't reading right, it's either the sender or the gauge, or a wiring issue.
And as was pointed out, by the time you figure out you don't have oil pressure, you're already screwed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks