• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Secret for driving a BRDM-2?

kcimb

Seems like ours is easy to get into first and harder to get into R but going from first to second is a bear. It starts quickly and it's a sweet vehicle, however.

Any pointers? Perhaps I'm not getting the double clutching down right?

Robin33ba07

Seems like ours is easy to get into first and harder to get into R but going from first to second is a bear. It starts quickly and it's a sweet vehicle, however.

double clutch all the time maybe let the gearbox oil warm up a bit before driving off ,most or nearly all go a bit better is let warm up first (OT90 VT55 ) ?

colin455

I was looking into a BTR-60 yesterday and am sure they mentioned the transmission was meant to be pre-shifted into the next gear and depressing the clutch engaged the new gear while making a hissing noise like an air solenoid. I could be mistaken but distinctly remember thinking "how odd".
Perhaps research the BTR and see if it matches. Both are Soviet Bloc units.
Hope it was remotely helpful.

dmetalmiki

Nope.. That is with the OT90, Which has an epicyclic gearbox, A sort'a copy of the daimler Pre-Selector gearbox.
The BTR60 has Two Petrol engines TWO gearboxes and ONE single Hydraulically operated clutch. And ARE a t..t to drive and change gear in. Remember that both engines have to be synced together.
The BTR 80 (I would love one!) was a better version with the single (Huge tough) V8 kamaz diesel engine in it.
Gear changing is best Always Double Clutching.

kcimb

double clutch all the time maybe let the gearbox oil warm up a bit before driving off ,most or nearly all go a bit better is let warm up first (OT90 VT55 ) ?
I've tried double clutching, it doesn't want to shift even then. It's almost like there's something wrong with the shifting mechanism and it won't go into gear. When I move the stick it hits a wall.

WarHorse_Alex

Hi. Is problem in shifting stay? Check hydraulic booster of clutch for leaks, hydraulic cylinder for air suck and check level of oil... And more - what is oil in system?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks