• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Secret for installing a lift pump...

edpdx

The last two pumps I installed (Delphi) went in just as the others I've replaced in Chevys and Fords over the years. The last two, though slipped around on the end of the crack rod. It was up as far as it would go- held in place after freezing the rod and adding a dose of heavy grease to it. When I turned in the mounting bolt the pump seemed to teeter on first one side of the rod and then the other. I eventually seated the bolt- turning them in as evenly as possible, but I still have ZERO fuel pressure at the gauge on the spin-on housing. I cannot get much power over 30-35.

Does anyone have to hand turn the crank to get the rod in even further to get the pump aligned right.

I'm using the Delphi pump that corresponds to the part number from the TM. HELP please.

cucvrus

There is an issue with the fuel lift pumps. A few manuals list an incorrect pump. I did a visual post on the 2 different pumps. The correct CUCV fuel pump has no play when the pump lever is depressed. The pumping starts immediately. The other incorrect pump has about 1/4"- 1/2" of free play. The lever is longer and curved differently. I could look back and find my pictures but that is the easiest way I know to explain without pictures. The lever compresses firmly and pumps fuel immediately. You can compress it in the palm of your hand. No free play. 0. Good Luck. Be Safe. Happy Holidays.

sneekyeye

You want the pump with the straight arm, not the one that has a little bent portion in it. I had to rotate the crankshaft on mine to get the lobe to rotate up. Once I rotated it, removed the pushrod and put a gob of grease on the end, it stayed up until after I bolted the first plate and then the pump back on.
MF0030S__ra_p.jpg HFP906S__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

Sneekeye the pump you have pictured on the left is incorrect. The spring is not visible from outside the pump arm. The pump you have pictured on the right is the CORRECT pump. Spring is in the casting on top of the pump lever arm. Thank you for the pictures. That left pump will screw you every time. The pumping action takes place deeper in the compression on that pump on the left. The pump on the right has suction immediately on compression of the lever arm. Good Luck and Happy Holidays. Be Safe in all you do.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the original 6.2 / 6.5 HMMWV pump with a vent, it is part #12342893, NSN 2910-01-168-7905.

HMMWV fuel pump.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks