• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing a HMMWV

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up digital guard dog it comes with a key fob without it truck won't start mine works great
Question for you: Say my truck is in the driveway and the keyfob is hanging on the key-rack inside my house, about 30 feet away. Is the truck disabled or is that still too close?

So that's my biggest worry with this product; I'm not in the truck but the fob is still close enough to allow the truck to start.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for you: Say my truck is in the driveway and the keyfob is hanging on the key-rack inside my house, about 30 feet away. Is the truck disabled or is that still too close?

So that's my biggest worry with this product; I'm not in the truck but the fob is still close enough to allow the truck to start.
I will let you know.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I know absolutely NOTHING about the product offered at The Dawg, but I can tell you that there is no exact number of feet away before before it will disable. On my personal vehicle with that kind of system for example here at work in a metal building distance is less than at home. Then again too, at home I have foil faced insulation and Amoco InsulBoard. WiFi in the house will bounce any signal all over the house.

In other words - Your mileage will vary.

You are going to test it in your yard, in your environment.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know absolutely NOTHING about the product offered at The Dawg, but I can tell you that there is no exact number of feet away before before it will disable. On my personal vehicle with that kind of system for example here at work in a metal building distance is less than at home. Then again too, at home I have foil faced insulation and Amoco InsulBoard. WiFi in the house will bounce any signal all over the house.

In other words - Your mileage will vary.

You are going to test it in your yard, in your environment.

Yeah, that would be a real kick in the pants- going to sleep believing the truck is secure and someone drives it away, and gets the $400 anti-theft system to boot.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I'am not here to "kick the dawg" nor is this a product review or endorsement. Just my experience after customer contact / consulting. YMMV

In my business (name withheld, but those in the the know, know) two of my customers (customer installed) have been bitten by this bad puppy, key fob thing. Both using remote start (and don't ask me why one would want that?) have had starters engage and NOT turn off. One starter was saved the other smoked to the tune of $650. Dawg turned into a hot dog and removed. Restored HumV to factory.

It may be the cats meow ? I can hear the barking here, CAMO

Last edited:

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that would be a real kick in the pants- going to sleep believing the truck is secure and someone drives it away, and gets the $400 anti-theft system to boot.
I am betting it works like a normal car and start button.
Talked with sales.
1) the fob has a manual/ auto mode. In auto it is proximity. In manual mode you push the button to energize the switch.
2) it controls the starter and glowplug. When it is off, no glowplug or start.
3) proximity is less than 10ft so their could be a risk if you are not aware of the capability.

I am gonna bury the circuit to reduce the range, and use it in manual mode. The unit has a separate ground and is rated for 30amps.
Seems like a very reasonable solution. I will let you all know.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'am not here to "kick the dawg" nor is this a product review or endorsement. Just my experience after customer contact / consulting. YMMV

I my business (name with held, but those in the the know, know) two of my customers (customer installed) have been bitten by this bad puppy, key fob thing. Both using remote start (and don't ask me why one would want that?) have had starters engage and NOT turn off. One starter was saved the other smoked to the tune of $650. Dawg turned into a hot dog and removed. Restored HumV to factory.

It may be the cats meow ? I can hear the barking here, CAMO
Ok. But this is NOT a remote start. It is simply a starter/system wiring enable circuit. It sits between all three wires and simply connects or disconnects them. You still have to turn the switch to glow, then to start.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the dawg installed today. I like it but they should fix some issues.
The good:
1) in manual mode you have to push the fob button to enable the run/start switch. Excellent
2) after you turn off the engine, 30 seconds later and it disables the run/start.
3) totally simple.
4) their instructions are good and the wire labels make connections straightforward.
4) do not use the auto mode.

The issues:
1) the box is a cheap pvc box, wires come out both ends and the wire holes are not sealed or strain relieved, there is space for water to go inside
2) the only place to mount the box and the provided wires are too short for easy placement. They must correct this.
3) in automatic mode the dang thing will enable the switch from almost 40ft away. I parked in our driveway, put the key inside on the sink counter. Picked it up and it enabled the switch. This makes using auto mode at your house pretty much useless. They need to reduce the range by about 30ft.
4) they used bright red wires with big labels. So when you look under, and see all the wires, it is pretty easy to see these wires are not like the hmmwv black wires. Crazy.
5) they forgot to mention in the instructions to connect the ground wire. Without it, the unit will not work. The rest of the instructions are clear and easy to follow.

What I will be doing to this.
1) going to print a new water tight black box
2) replace the red wires for black wires and make them longer

However, in manual mode, installed, it works great for me.

I will be keeping it because it is another way to keep the vehicle secure and stock looking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks