• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing a HMMWV

dohabandit

I keep the steering wheel cable lock installed as well.
I think the barrel key in the PCB is an easy solution. You have to remove the PCB to install it, so battery is disconnected first. Drill one hole (carefully placed) in the PCB and connect it up.

The advantage over a fuel cutoff is that they can't sit there and crank your truck to death. It's just "DEAD".

It has a little advantage over a remove/RFID solution in that you can't just reach up under the dash, pull the three little plugs and short them to start the truck. This would assume some knowledge about HMMWV's of course, but I know I could certainly do it!
You'd actually have to bring tools and get into that PCB. Not likely to happen.

KansasBobcat

Have not been on this site for a few years...So if what I post is redundant, I apologize. The cut off prevents turning on your glow plugs, lights, cranking the engine. Kids and adults will do all these things and not give it a thought. I think they have been conditioned by the interactive museums so prevalent now. I would like to add that this is the most civil, polite web site I have ever been on. Thanks, Bob

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the unit wires into the exsisting OEM start switch and mounts under the dashboard.
its plug and play and takes approx 20mins to install.
And how do we purchase one? Your website does not contain purchase information, assuming it is the same site connected to your profile.

therooster2001

Nothing earth shattering but I'll chime in.

Battery cut off, necessary for PCB preservation, and to keep from starting. Absolutely necessary. Seriously, do it now if you haven't.

Locking handles. Buy from the manufacturer, not EBay.

Tobash mentioned GPS, an alternate is to put a Tile (Tile App) somewhere. It's cheap insurance.

If you park on the street, park under a street light. I had 2 cars parked that got broken into, and they didn't touch the HMMWV. I'd like to think it was the light, the others were in the dark.

JEB

I suspect it was fear of the HMMWVs, owners rather than the light that protected your vehicles.
It's a comment on our society that while visiting a socially progressive (read lenient) city a few years back that my Ford truck was broken into despite being under a light and parked 50 feet from the front entrance of a motel in a "good" part of town.
My dog was sleeping in the back and that did not deter them.

Last edited:

Action

Doesnt the tile app only work if someone is near uour item and have the app tirned on?

If everyone keeps stating where there cutoff is on an open forum, folks will know how to start your rig.

A fuel cutoff is a bad ide if yoj have to bleed air from your system in a mall parking lot.

alphaseventwo

Or buy our remote proximity key fob kill switch...this kills the start switch when you walk away from the truck, renders it completely dead.
walk back to truck and it comes alive...
I installed this in under an hour- now my brother can't just come over and take my truck for a joyride! Even more worth it just to piss him off! #getyourownhmmwvbro

Stonewall

I have a completely different electronic method that what is stated hear, but I do not plan to post it in an open forum.

Doesnt the tile app only work if someone is near uour item and have the app tirned on?

If everyone keeps stating where there cutoff is on an open forum, folks will know how to start your rig.

A fuel cutoff is a bad ide if yoj have to bleed air from your system in a mall parking lot.

Jon knox

So, in working on this friend's slantback, we've been discussing how to secure it.

Key Switch is in hand for install.
I've suggested he purchase a battery cut out switch.

We've discussed locking door latches.

That still leaves the slantback hatch and tailgate. What's the ways folks have secured that without their trucks looking like a poor bodge?

One thing we've also discussed is a weapons/tool locker set on either rear fender under the slantback, that way he can stow critical gear and have a second layer of protection for them.

Any suggestions?
Look up digital guard dog it comes with a key fob without it truck won't start mine works great

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dawg site has a specific model for hmmwv. Direct plug tap interface for the the starting switch. Rated for 35amps. Should keep the honest people honest. They also have a 4g wireless security tap on the starter wire product that looks interesting.
At this point, I am going for defense in depth. Locking doors, cable the wheel, fob access, and never park in a potential hostel area. These things are just not that theft proof.

Reactions: OBX

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dawg site has a specific model for hmmwv. Direct plug tap interface for the the starting switch. Rated for 35amps. Should keep the honest people honest. They also have a 4g wireless security tap on the starter wire product that looks interesting.
At this point, I am going for defense in depth. Locking doors, cable the wheel, fob access, and never park in a potential hostel area. These things are just not that theft proof.
Not easy to find with no search function on their website, but here's the link.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks