• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Security

WalterMitty

I guess you can never have too much security...but are our rides really that much of a theft threat? I have insurance, and a keyed switch. I don't see a lot of thieves going after my 30 year old MV that turns heads where ever it goes. My buddy has a deuce, uses the old chain around the steering wheel trick and has never had an issue. I just don't see MVs as being a really good target for would be thieves.

Action

I came out of a business one night and found my hood up the the light and start switches moved. Someone tried to start it and may have raised the hood looking for s simple wire to plug back on. I had a hidden switch.

WalterMitty

I came out of a business one night and found my hood up the the light and start switches moved. Someone tried to start it and may have raised the hood looking for s simple wire to plug back on. I had a hidden switch.
Yeah, but in your case that was probably just karma given how quickly you get salty with everyone on this board. :)

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember a story not too long ago about a 5-ton that was stolen and taken on a joy ride... it doesn't hurt to give an obstacle to a thief. I think about this a lot. If you own a hmmwv it is probably good practice to put a few security features to try and prevent a dumb thief. Not only to protect your investment even if you have insurance but think about how tender a subject it is already to legally drive these things on the road. Better to decrease the attention from media and the "law" and live happy under the radar. Even if it is perfectly legal why risk it.

ryanruck

HMMWVs do get stolen! Seen on the local news tonight...

Humvee Stolen From Ohio National Guard Armory In Stow

March 23, 2017

ohio-national-guard-stolen-humvee-358da23141361641.jpg
This photo shows the same model of Humvee that was stolen overnight Tuesday from an Ohio National Guard Armory in Stow, the state highway patrol said.

A Humvee was stolen from the Ohio National Guard Armory in Stow, officials said Thursday.

The military-grade desert tan Humvee was stolen late Tuesday or early Wednesday, Ohio National Guard spokeswoman Stephanie Beougher said.

The State Highway Patrol, which is investigating the theft, discovered that the thieves cut through a chain link fence sometime to enter the area where the Humvees are stored. The Humvee was locked, but the thieves broke into it and drove away, the Highway Patrol said in a news release.

The Humvee has distinct bumper numbers 174 and 1-145 near its left tail light and HQ-51 near the right tail light, the patrol says.

State patrol investigators have not identified any suspects or witnesses.

Anyone who may know where the Humvee is should call the Ohio State Highway Patrol at 216-265-1677 or dial #677.

I guess someone left the keys in it! :mrgreen:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter

March 23, 2017

View attachment 672413
This photo shows the same model of Humvee that was stolen overnight Tuesday from an Ohio National Guard Armory in Stow, the state highway patrol said.

A Humvee was stolen from the Ohio National Guard Armory in Stow, officials said Thursday.

The military-grade desert tan Humvee was stolen late Tuesday or early Wednesday, Ohio National Guard spokeswoman Stephanie Beougher said.

The State Highway Patrol, which is investigating the theft, discovered that the thieves cut through a chain link fence sometime to enter the area where the Humvees are stored. The Humvee was locked, but the thieves broke into it and drove away, the Highway Patrol said in a news release.

The Humvee has distinct bumper numbers 174 and 1-145 near its left tail light and HQ-51 near the right tail light, the patrol says.

Anyone who may know where the Humvee is should call the Ohio State Highway Patrol at 216-265-1677 or dial #677.

Dang that stinks...what the heck are they going to do with it... hope they get caught

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

March 23, 2017

View attachment 672413

Deep water fording kit, fender A/C kit, hard top, and four hard doors coming to an eBay store near you!

EDIT: But I do feel bad for you Ohio guys...anyone with a tan HMMWV is going to get the cops called on them... a lot. ****, probably everyone with a HMMWV out that was is going to be visited by the police at least once until this is found.

99nouns

Reporter must be the new intern at the news office, s/he reported the same thing 5 times in same article... back to back... at least she could add some paranoia, some thing like these highly sophisticated war machines built by _______ company for deadly missions and now one in the hands of a criminal.... run for your lives,

99nouns

I remember a story not too long ago about a 5-ton that was stolen and taken on a joy ride... it doesn't hurt to give an obstacle to a thief. I think about this a lot. If you own a hmmwv it is probably good practice to put a few security features to try and prevent a dumb thief. Not only to protect your investment even if you have insurance but think about how tender a subject it is already to legally drive these things on the road. Better to decrease the attention from media and the "law" and live happy under the radar. Even if it is perfectly legal why risk it.
Also insurance companies keep statistics on stuff, if they see one of the MV is a target, they will deny insurance, unless you registred as Amg pickup rofl

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deep water fording kit, fender A/C kit, hard top, and four hard doors coming to an eBay store near you!

EDIT: But I do feel bad for you Ohio guys...anyone with a tan HMMWV is going to get the cops called on them... a lot. ****, probably everyone with a HMMWV out that was is going to be visited by the police at least once until this is found.
No joke. After about 10k $ of equipment was found 'missing' from a local base, I got a call from CID because numerous people had reported the Eotech I was selling on Craigslist was stolen from them. Obviously BS, and a quick pic of the SN to him got an apology for wasting my time, but yeah.. I expect lots of attention for local owners..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks