• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seeking advice on direction of wc build

mvformoe

I have been struggling with the decision for a direction with my wc.Thank you to everyone who helped identify it for me.I originally looked at the truck not realizing it was military,I wanted a power wagon to build as a all around 4 wheel drive for the woods and everyday use.I pictured modern running gear and something more everyday tough.Well now I know what my truck is or is a combination of,the hood number seems to be associated with a wc-4 but it is a closed cab on it,so who knows what it really is,it does have a military cab though,it has the holes for the rear window screen.I am missing the bushings for the drivers front axle,the axle and the rear drive shaft,other than that is is complete.I have reasearched the axles and finding parts and feel as though I am going to nickle and dime myself and end up with something that isnt strong enough for what I need.I have looked into the bigger diffs in the half ton housings but even that I dont think will be strong enough.I want to turn at least 36" tires extremely reliably,I go off into the wilderness alone sometimes so reliability is very important.I like the thought of modern brakes as well,I have owned old trucks before,including a 57 gmc v-8 that had drum brakes with no power assist that I drove for years.I dont want to destroy a piece of history though,I am really torn and have changed my mind daily.I have right now a dana 60,divorced np 205,np435 dana 44hd combo,all this is in good condition and a known reliable combination and has parts availability,I have been leaning this direction but am really genuinely torn.I would appreciate advice and oppinions about the direction to go here,including a possible combination to upgrade the stock axles to life reliably,I am not totally olpposed to the flat head either but I have a couple very nice modern motor options as well.If modified I would want to modify as little as possible,and it will be correct lusterless od and I am putting the hood numbers back on.Thanks for all your oppinions.

Attachments

Last edited:

glenn715

I would say put a modern drivetrain in it and enjoy it. It looks like you rescued it from the scrap yard and it has already been pretty hacked. I have some WC63 axles if you want but to get them disc braked and regeared is a small fortune.

davidkroberts

i see you as having a decent option in the running gear from a M1008. from the 6.2 diesel, auto transmission, and your spare NP205, and axles you would have a winner for very little money.

another route would be rockwell deuce axles but the higher gearing would be an issue with road speed.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Build it original and have your truck admired by everyone at MV shows. Build an abortion and get snickered at and ignored. Either way build what you want in your heart for your needs.

mvformoe

Thanks to everyone I appreciate all oppinions and tips,please keep them comeing,including criticisms,I appreciate honesty.I am interested in the axles,and would be willing to make the trip to pick them up,I really like the history and full understand that heritage of what this is,that is the only reason I bought this truck,I payed 500 for it,the guy was payed to haul it to the scrap yard,but he couldnt do it and sold it to me,so it really has been rescued,so I would really like to go with the wc-63 parts and do the conversion to put the diffs in my half ton housings maybe,it would give me bertter options for a combination that is a little stronger but more original.I would like to get involved in the history and share it with vets,I hold a lot of respect and admiration for the world war 2 guys.I would appreciate any historical information or advice I could find about the truck.The hood number comes up to an open cab vehicle,the cab has holes for the back window screen so I asume it is military,sound like a marriage of different wc body parts?The hood number is 217667,you can still make it out on the hood.Thanks everyone.take care.

glenn715

I don't think the WC63 diffs would fit in your axle housings. They might though, you would need to check. You might have to swap the whole axle. Midwest Military or VPW would probably know. I will be down in Sac next Sat if you are interested in them send me a PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks