• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seeking info about Deuce wheels and truck/car tires

XX

Jimbo--Thank you for taking the time to post a picture of the wheels. It is very helpful. Worth a thousand words as they say.

chevycrew--In my limited understanding of wheel rebuilding, situations where a wheel has hit a curb and the lip/edge has become damaged, new metal is applied and then the wheel is placed in a type of machine/bender that forms the lip/flange.

Since I was looking to reduce the size of the flange it seems all I would need is a device to make sure exactly the same amount was removed from the flange all the way around. This would apply to the removal of material and the shaping/smoothing of the cut edge.

Looking at the pictures Jimbo supplied it seems as though it could work.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the horse did not die yet....? :)

You can remove part of the flange and get relatively close to the shape you nead for a LT tire. See drawing below.
Years ago I did something similar to make MPT80 Continentals fit on two-piece tubeless 20x11" rims which I built using std. deuce wheels. Tire mounting is not a problem with two wheel halves bolted together.
I suppose yours is also a 2 pc wheel ?

G.

Attachments

XX

it is alive!

Gringeltaube---My idea was on it's last breath but it is up and alive again!

Did you use a machine to reform the lip and trim it? If so, what was the name of the machine so that I may ask if a shop has it when asking about wheel rebuilding.

On a related note, I noticed there are many members in the NW United States, anyone know of a good shop for this type of work near Boise Idaho?

Finally, Gringeltaube your handle states you are in South America, is that true?

XX

RE: it is alive!

Oh I forgot, I am pretty sure the wheel is a two piece wheel. There is a guy about an hr from me that has a yard of military rigs and parts. I called and asked him if he had 5 ton wheels with the extreme backspace (sometimes called the bridge wheels) He said he did. I have see 20x10 military wheels with extreme backspace in both 1 piece and 2 piece configuration, so I know the 2 piece wheels exist.

Gringeltaube why do you think a 2 piece wheel is so important? Is it to be able to get the tire on or something else? Also, Gringletaube thank you for posting the diagrams, they have been very helpful in my understanding.

XX

OUCH!! Took a hit today. I do not have a big enough lathe to do rim so I went to a machine shop with a big enough lathe and asked them about the job. They told me to do a rim they would not just cut it down, but would have to cut it down and build up the lip with weld. (Gringeltaube did you do that?)

Anyway, to use their lathe and have them weld up a lip was $710.00. I opted not to do it.

Perhaps Offroad could give an estimate. Was that about what it would cost?

jimbo*

If you keep poking around machine shops, my wheels are gonna start to sound cheap!
Another option would be to contact John at Stazworks--he makes custom wheels for the offroad crowd, and has a good reputaion.
Jimbo

Yes john is very good at what he does. you also got MRT, LWR, SWR, and a few other very good companies.

XX that was a quote for what a rim would run you. BUT if you wanta get custom wheels i need to know some specs. if you want me to quote it properly. please pm me the details size, width, backspacnig. Do you want a custom design center? just bulled holes? plain? what are you going to put this on? bolt pattern? just tell me all the details i can find some pricing and info for ya.
thanks

XX

Thank you gentlemen for the respones, Wow I thought that was really high. Sad that is was not. I was looking for a 20x10 wheel with as much backspace as I could have without getting crazy custom. Which means if 8 inches of backspace on a custom wheel would be 200.00 and 12 inches of backspace would be 600.00 then 8 inches of backspace would be fine.

Commercial truck wheels have the kind of extreme positve offsetI am talking about (like the kind found on the front of semi trucks or dump trucks) I would like to find a commercial truck wheel in 20x10 so far all I have found are those wheels in 19.5 and 22.5. The 5 ton truck wheel I was looking at had an positive offset of 6.5 inches which put the backspace at 11.5

XX

Oh and the wheel bolt pattern whatever is easiest/cheapest. I can change the hub easy.

chevycrew

I would hit the big rig wrecking yards and start measuring. I just moved from Boise, and I dont even know where to start looking.

Now you can understand why some on here opt the easy way out and order wheels. I did... Got mine from OdIron and they are wonderful. Mine are a 20x11 with around 8 of backspace. They might have gone up with steel costs, but mine were 250 a wheel.

XX

I am a bit confused on the wheel flange trimming. I can find my way around a metal shop (not always very well) but I still understand basic concepts.

What I do not understand is why the lip would need to be built up after the intial trim. If you cut the flange down a bit (not all the way down to the desired height) then fold the edge over on itself to create the lip? Perhaps put the wheel in one of those wheel benders (that I have heard about but have never used) to smooth the fold and help true the wheel.

Then again, when I feel the edge of an automotive wheel, the edge is thick but there is not a specific bump on it. Why is it incorrect or perhaps unsafe to cut the flange to the desired height smooth it up and leave it at that?

XX

gringeltaube, did you send a PM? There is nothing in my inbox. Does it go to a different place?

rdixiemiller

You should be able to turn down a rim and get the desired bead flange for a motorcycle tire. Of course, finding someone with a 20" swing lathe can be problematical........
Good thing I have access to one for my wheel widening project!

XX

gringletaube, I sent you a couple PM's did you get them or have they been lost in the internet black hole?

houdel

Offroadfabworks said:
i can get you custom made wheels 20x10 with any backspace and bolt pattern for $245 a wheel. let me know if i can help.
How about a custom 10"x22.5" wheel, tubeless radial, 11" pilot hole, 10 bolts on a 12.75" bolt circle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks